• Never

Votes: 52 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What sort of role does cash play in your daily lives? Given the opinion that SA is becoming a cashless society have you already ditched coins and notes or do you consider it unrealistic?

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
sometimes do, especially for those that for some or another reason dont carry a Card machine,
or the people that want the money straight into their pockets, so instead say, no card purchases under R50 or something to that equivalent.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Never. Always used to pay with a note and end up with a heavy handbag full of coins.

I haven't used cash in years but keep a R200 note with me in case of emergencies.
I also carry a R100 note inside my keyring on my motorbike in case I run low on fuel entering a town that does not have an Engen garage and I need some fuel to get to next town where there is an Engen. Cant use my cards to fill up at BP for example as FNB penalises you with eBucks rewards if you do that. So cash is king

Ecco

Executive Member
eBucks got me to move all my transactions to my card. I still keep some cash on hand, but will always default to card, ewallet or snapscan etc before i use cash.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Sometimes when I shop for cheap Oral B toothbrush heads or rechargeable batteries there at the Strand informal traders. Last I was there I stocked up for years ahead though.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I also carry a R100 note inside my keyring on my motorbike in case I run low on fuel entering a town that does not have an Engen garage and I need some fuel to get to next town where there is an Engen. Cant use my cards to fill up at BP for example as FNB penalises you with eBucks rewards if you do that. So cash is king
You can still use your FNB card at non-Engen stations. FNB doesn't actively penalise you for doing that, you just don't get ebucks (which is the same as using cash).

Cray

Honorary Master
Car guards, petrol attendant tips, apart from that, as little as possible.

Zapper and direct Credit Card as much as possible for UCount points, always settle the CC in full each month.

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Hardly ever ... unless someone hands me cash, I hardly carry ever. Have also not been inside a bank or at a ATM in donkey's years :unsure:

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I use card 9/10 times unless I really need to use cash.

Examples are things like the landscape architect, the Post Office when I am picking up AliExpress parcels, and tipping the pump jockey when they go the extra mile.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
You can still use your FNB card at non-Engen stations. FNB doesn't actively penalise you for doing that, you just don't get ebucks (which is the same as using cash).
You wont earn ebucks for 3 months from what I have seen
I will confirm again next week when ebucks is due as I had to use my card 2 weeks ago in Franschhoek as I got caught out with no cash at BP :(

maxxis

Staff get paid in cash.

The low income groups tend to not accept EFTs etc because of banking costs etc.
Until such time as the banking for that income group is sorted I will continue to pay them in cash.

Ecko_1

I withdraw once a month to pay the maid and gardener. Other than that only if it is needed for usually government cash only things like licences.

My wallet only allows for cards so cash just lays around.