Votes: 220 52.3%
  • Never

Votes: 53 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

marbro

Expert Member
You can still use your FNB card at non-Engen stations. FNB doesn't actively penalise you for doing that, you just don't get ebucks (which is the same as using cash).
you lose your fuel earn, and lose the quaterly fuel earn too. comes to quite a bit if you make use of it

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
I keep R100 in my wallet and will draw if this gets below R50, but some months it stays put in there as I use my tap tap almost exclusively. Drawinf our domestic helper's salary in cash at the start of the month and dish it out weekly. Asked her is she wouldn't prefer a monthly deposit, nope, weekly cash it is. Oh well. Maybe she figured it easier for me to pop by the atm, which sadly is true. Where she stays spaza shops have only recently begun using these cellphone linked card machine thingies and closest atm is really far if you factor she'd have to walk there. pity she is not interested to learn driving, could probably find her a good hand me down somewhere for a "long service award"

Cius

Executive Member
If the amount is small I sometimes pay cash (under R30). Mostly EFT or card, increasingly masterpass. Since Covid started Cash usage has plummeted. Had a painter in recently who only did cash as he does not have a bank account and it was the first time I used an ATM in a long time to get the cash to pay him.

willsotaku

Use cash daily for shopping as we have to buy food on daily basis so its sort of the family policy only rent/internet goes through bank/efts

Lupus

Honorary Master
Use cash daily for shopping as we have to buy food on daily basis so its sort of the family policy only rent/internet goes through bank/efts
What does buying food daily have to do with cash? You're spending more on the fees to draw it.

3WA

Honorary Master
Never normally have cash.

My barber only takes cash (R80 a haircut), so if I ever happen upon cash, I go get a haircut. Then I deposit the rest via PnP or an ATM.

neoprema

Executive Member
I would say never if i didn't have to have it for the car guards, and then the ATM only spits out big notes so you have to wonder around making change. But i do feel for them, many of them are supporting large families and their degrees are not recognized in ZA for work.

If they would only get tap-to-pay or something.

Dan C

Honorary Master
What’s cash?

Cash is legal tender—currency or coins—that can be used to exchange goods, debt, or services.
Sometimes it also includes the value of assets that can be easily converted into cash immediately, as reported by a company.

Cash in its physical form is the simplest, most broadly accepted and reliable form of payment,
which is why many businesses only accept cash.
Checks can bounce and credit cards can be declined, but cash in hand requires no extra processing.
However, it's become less common for people to carry cash with them, due to the increasing dependability and convenience of electronic banking and payment systems.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
you lose your fuel earn, and lose the quaterly fuel earn too. comes to quite a bit if you make use of it
Quarterly earn I can see but I can't find in the t&cs that I'll lose all my fuel ebucks if I use the card at another brand.

Groggyme

Rarely cash. I only withdraw cash to pay for prepaid electricity in PE.

epah

Expert Member
Cash is legal tender—currency or coins—that can be used to exchange goods, debt, or services.
Sometimes it also includes the value of assets that can be easily converted into cash immediately, as reported by a company.

Cash in its physical form is the simplest, most broadly accepted and reliable form of payment,
which is why many businesses only accept cash.
Checks can bounce and credit cards can be declined, but cash in hand requires no extra processing.
However, it's become less common for people to carry cash with them, due to the increasing dependability and convenience of electronic banking and payment systems.

thanks for the education, I was born in the wrong era.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Until the shebeen I frequent gets a card machine, I have to pay cash.

Although recently he told me that I can always EFT him. So what I was thinking is that I should EFT him on payday so that I have a certain amount of credit. It has become a chore to first walk to an ATM and then to the squatter camp because the Uber drivers have started complaining about going into the squatter camp due to safety concerns and also because the road there is kak and it dirties their cars.

The other reason is for lunch money for school for the kids. They've recently stopped taking bread to school for some reason so want money for the tuck shops at school.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I chose "Rarely" but if there was an option "Almost never" I would have picked that one.

notayoba

Expert Member
Once in a blue moon I'll have some cash when paying at a restaurant with my card and some else hands me cash. Otherwise never.

Feel sorry for car guards etc, but they'll have to get with the times and get zapper or something. Used to tip them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to somehow acquire cash just for car guards. Even my garden engineer prefers EFT.