Votes: 220 52.4%
  • Never

Votes: 52 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
To the people paying their gardeners and domestic workers in cash. Do those people not know of cardless withdrawals?

With Standard Bank the limit is R5 000 per day.

Hell nowadays you can withdraw ABSA CashSend and Standard Bank Instont Money at a PEP if the person is illiterate, so one of the tellers can do it for them.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What sort of role does cash play in your daily lives? Given the opinion that SA is becoming a cashless society have you already ditched coins and notes or do you consider it unrealistic?
It is unrealistic, as there are many people in the economy totally dependent on cash still.

Yes it is very limited these days but enough of a problem to decry the difficulty of getting hold of cash when you need it especially small change.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Rarely cash. I only withdraw cash to pay for prepaid electricity in PE.
I could never understand that.

At Spar, etc I can buy electricity with my card, but the little house shops insist on only taking cash for electricity even though they have card machines.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
I withdraw once a month to pay the maid and gardener. Other than that only if it is needed for usually government cash only things like licences.

My wallet only allows for cards so cash just lays around.
I used to need cash for those payments, but now even they are by EFT!

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Yes, its quick, I need to see in person what I buy. Sometimes no choice transfer if I know the company.
No gost transactions over net payments.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Only for the guy that deliver my braai wood and to keep some R5's for my youngest to use at the snoopy on Fridays. I'd imagine it's difficult for a 7 year old to tap and go at a snoepie.

Smugs

Expert Member
Yes.. When I go to the pub.. Gotta tip that hot little chick behind the bar and when the money's finished, it's time to go home.. This running a tab and swipe later leads to trouble....

Splinter

Honorary Master

At Spar, etc I can buy electricity with my card, but the little house shops insist on only taking cash for electricity even though they have card machines.

So how exactly do you get so f u c ked up at every merchant or shebeen you visit?

juBa

Because of the CC commission, Spar sells volumes and the little house shops don’t. Markup on electricity, airtime etc is low.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Regularly for gardener, car guards, petrol guys, buying occasional small stuff.

Always for annual car licence disc. SAPO say card payments accepted then at the counter it's cash or no disc. (maybe just my local PO ).
Local PO by the sounds of it. Also I e wallet my gardener.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
TIME is real in Nature and reveal shortcomings, it may take some time to work its way through minds. Nothing modern digitally happenning today has been proven over time at a scale of 7 Billion over the planet, and we are foolish enough to put all our eggs in one basket at the whim of a promise.
Cash is going to be like fuel, once its gone, the turning back once the etopia's fire is out, is going to be painfull in a sence and scale the human race had not experience ever before, simply because that scale never excisted ever before in time.

wbot

Executive Member
Rarely. Sometimes I do cash on delivery or I may pay cash for second hand items etc