Do you use free public wifi?

Do you use free public wifi when available?

• Yes

Votes: 41 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 213 79.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.9%

• Total voters

PhireSide

Honorary Master
No, it's way too much of a hassle to sign up to 99% of the public wifi services which are also more often than not slow, unreliable and intermittent. Not to mention the privacy concerns of feeding a company your PII.

Mobile data is cheap enough these days.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, it's way too much of a hassle to sign up to 99% of the public wifi services
I think Telkom used to give us free wifi access (maybe they still do) but it was such a hassle to get working I never bothered using it. When I'm in the UK though I regularly use it - especially on the trains - probably because the mobile coverage is so spotty.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I think Telkom used to give us free wifi access (maybe they still do) but it was such a hassle to get working I never bothered using it.
I remember this too.

You had to use your mobile number to authenticate, but I always had trouble getting it to work at Grillers. I think they gave us around 10GB per month to use? But faffing about for half an hour on your phone trying to get it to work was a chore, so I only ended up using it once or twice in the 4 or so years that I had the Telkom deal.

Ecco

Executive Member
Only internationally - have enough mobile data to satisfy my needs when not at home with uncapped wifi.

I can totally understand how people without uncapped wifi at home might rely on free public wifi - updating your phones software or apps can chew up quite a bit of data.

I think things like instagram and tiktok also will burn through data bundles - given the popularity of such apps, its easy to see many people opting to connect to free wifi in an effort to save some money.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Depends on what you use / need.
Worst for us is that it doesn't last, always a too short time limit.

But agree with the rest of your post.
I have Air Mobile which gives one GB free per month, plus their bundle rates are rather good.

MTN, which is the underlying carrier, gives good service and coverage, so I've never been too concerned with getting public wifi to work for me. But I can understand if you are sitting in a coffee shop pushing large amounts of data on a laptop, that would be another matter.

Cactus

Expert Member
Nope, have 100 GB MTN data on my mobile (Black Friday), which also doubles as a backup should fibre go down.
Also, security and privacy and all that.

Reactions: Shi

3WA

Honorary Master
Nope.

I don't even use the work WiFi on my phone.

Thestealth

Expert Member
No ways. A few minutes after you connect you start receiving telemarketing calls and emails about making your penis bigger. Sometimes it's the same person offering both.

SAguy

Executive Member
On the rare occasion, only when the mobile signal is not great for using my phone as a hotspot.
When I do use public wifi I tunnel all my traffic through my home or office vpn

epah

Executive Member
Nope, you have to sign up
And then they spam
You with their marketing, I will
Stick with my data.