Do you use more than one monitor at work?

Do you use more than one monitor at work?

• Yes

Votes: 175 82.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 17.5%

• Total voters

copacetic

King of the Hippies
1 x 2560*1080 screen. It's wide enough to side by side just about anything I need to, which is indispensable. If I didn't have a widescreen, I'd definitely want two monitors. That being said, I feel the need for more pixels...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No, 1x 24" by choice.

Better focus and less neck strain at the expense of a bit more window switching now and then.
Are you sitting too close? Swivel chair is also useful.

I think one of the most important aspects of an office is good chairs with arm rests that are at the height of the table.

Monitors wise:
Usually 15"+22", but currently 15"+2x22" as needed for uni work.

spiff

Expert Member
always - and microsoft's "mouse without borders" allows 1 keyboard & mouse across both screens.

krycor

Honorary Master
Rarely/No..

1 x MacBookPro

In the past(circa <2015) I did..

1 x Dell /Windows 7
1-2x Screens (1x 24”, 1x 18”4:3)

For me personally the change is due to
1. No longer need a status/tracking window
2. O/S supports multiple Desktops which are Retina (high res) so using another screen downgraded image.
3. Resolution I use is high, MacBook Pro run at 2?xHD
4. MacBookPro notebooks are design with gestures which mean from a neck & hand position basis.. everything stays in one place and I just swipe fast between desktops. This seems more efficient than looking at another screen (despite crappier resolution).
5. Only time I use screen it’s for a Vm and the. It’s an effort and I can’t just pick up notebook and walk around(have to unplug hdmi, drag desktop to MacBook ideally)

Last edited:

msquared

Expert Member
Always. I even use 2 monitors at home. I could never understand how anyone can work efficiently constantly alt-tabbing between screens. Drives me bonkers when I see it.

Corelli

Dell P2414H and the Newer P2417H is the most popular however, due to them being cheap. Having both HDMI and Displayport, also VGA Ports, and they can adjust up and down (so no monitor stand or telephone book as some use), and they can swivel 90 degrees (nifty for long spreadsheets.)

Also if you're running HDMI or Displayport, their picture quality is hard to beat, unless you're a graphics designer...

Then you should get the Dell UP2716D (Ultrasharp Professional Dreamcolor with 1 billion colours thats factory calibrated for perfect colours). For those of you that dont know. Most monitors support far less than 1 billion colours, and if you're into digital photography you need to match perfect colouring for print. As such your monitor usually have to be calibrated to nearly 1% accuracy across the frame. They slap on a colour calibrator that's effectively a camera attached to the front of your monitor to check for the picture colour accuracy and brightness.) Even a 10% difference which is normal in standard monitors, can be catastrophic in photography).

Apple Advises the usage of the UP2716D for photoshop work and as the main monitors for the Powermacs and Mac Minis.