• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Do you use more than one monitor at work?

Do you use more than one monitor at work?

• Yes

Votes: 175 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 15.9%

• Total voters
1 at work (21'), and 2 (21' and 36') at home

Then again, at home the above is linked to my iMac, and I multi-task with a Window$ machine as well....

I get a headache if restricted to a single view just from having to restrict everything to a really small single screen....

eg2505

Honorary Master
tbh: unless its a status thing, or you actually need to compare different things constantly

never really understood the need for 2 or more monitors, had at one point even 2 plus laptop screen.

and all I could use if for was leaving my emails open constantly on my laptop screen while I work on a bigger monitor.

I think its more of a status symbol tbh, exceptions sure, but never really understood the point of it.

Corelli

https://www.techadvisory.org/2016/07/benefits-of-using-dual-monitors/

It actually increases productivity and helps eliminate first time errors.

Also when you're a Call Centre Agent and have to access a lot of client applications at the same time, it gives you the ability to speed up your service, rather than tabbing through multiple applications on your tiny 19" screens, because who invest in your business.

Add this to an HP Mini 800 Desktop, or Mac Mini for your call centre agents, and you also cut down on a lot of power usage, (65w+10+10) vs 230W+10W). Multiply that by 100 agents and you get a decent saving yet fast service.
Also a less hungry pc power wise, will also generate less heat, thus your requirements for aircon systems will decrease.

When you purchase for your office, you need to think smart and ergonomical, without breaking the budget. Normally you also replace your monitors every 10 years.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
https://www.techadvisory.org/2016/07/benefits-of-using-dual-monitors/

It actually increases productivity and helps eliminate first time errors.

Also when you're a Call Centre Agent and have to access a lot of client applications at the same time, it gives you the ability to speed up your service, rather than tabbing through multiple applications on your tiny 19" screens, because who invest in your business.

Add this to an HP Mini 800 Desktop, or Mac Mini for your call centre agents, and you also cut down on a lot of power usage, (65w+10+10) vs 230W+10W). Multiply that by 100 agents and you get a decent saving yet fast service.
Also a less hungry pc power wise, will also generate less heat, thus your requirements for aircon systems will decrease.

When you purchase for your office, you need to think smart and ergonomical, without breaking the budget. Normally you also replace your monitors every 10 years.
The first part I largely agree with, but the rest about Call Centers? WTF are you on about?

And replacing monitors every 10 years? Really? Most companies are doing it on a much shorter interval, at most 5 years more like 3 years.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
tbh: unless its a status thing, or you actually need to compare different things constantly

never really understood the need for 2 or more monitors, had at one point even 2 plus laptop screen.

and all I could use if for was leaving my emails open constantly on my laptop screen while I work on a bigger monitor.

I think its more of a status symbol tbh, exceptions sure, but never really understood the point of it.
Comparing different things, like that one, because that's just half. :p
Can also have a video open on one screen while working on the other.
Then not comparing but follow on/basis of what's one the one screen, e.g. for coding docs open on one screen and IDE on the other, or web development/anything GUI related seeing the result while editing it (hot reloading is awesome). In the case of e.g. Android development, I usually hook up a third screen as well, one screen the Android device, one the IDE, another with half docs and the other half usually the class I am interfacing with.
Again, most home users one screen should be enough as you're only looking at one thing at a time, e.g. you read your mail and then close it. Then you go and watch YouTube. Then after you're done, you spin up a game. Not an MMO though, those you'd probably have right screen open with a Wiki or a group chat. :p

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
All developers in our company are issued with dual monitor workstations. Currently I have an Optiplex 7050 with dual SE2416H monitors.

At home I prefer a single monitor, SE2216H with a VA panel.

GoB

Expert Member
Are you sitting too close? Swivel chair is also useful.

I think one of the most important aspects of an office is good chairs with arm rests that are at the height of the table.

Monitors wise:
Usually 15"+22", but currently 15"+2x22" as needed for uni work.
Nope - I sit far away and get no strain.
Previously while my neck was probably fractured, I got rid of the dual monitors and realised that swiveling while keeping your hands in the same position adds strain.

Also most people leave Outlook open on the laptop screen - pointless.

Chairs are all garbage. Problem is that corporates are dumb and place the desk high enough for people over 2m tall. You'd need a foot support if you want to get to the proper chair height.

Corelli

Maybe you're a lucky company where you replace monitors every 3 years. Most replace desktops every 3-4 years based on warranty but monitors nope. Monitors can be reused till they stop working, where desktops goes out of warranty and thus becomes a risk. Its more difficult to rebuild a desktop profile and take the time to deploy, than plug in another monitor.

Clive2

Comparing different things, like that one, because that's just half. :p
Can also have a video open on one screen while working on the other.
Then not comparing but follow on/basis of what's one the one screen, e.g. for coding docs open on one screen and IDE on the other, or web development/anything GUI related seeing the result while editing it (hot reloading is awesome). In the case of e.g. Android development, I usually hook up a third screen as well, one screen the Android device, one the IDE, another with half docs and the other half usually the class I am interfacing with.....
I agree, as in the past, I've used dual monitors for video editing and music production DAW's, where the plug-in effects, instruments, mixer and multiple tracks quickly filled a standard 17" AOC TFT screen, cascading windows blocking views of underlying ones.
Frustrating shifting windows around while doing 'Live' recordings. (A hobby).
So, for practical needs, a small AIM LCD TV/VGA (17") monitor was added to the family.
Now 'extra' windows get slid to monitor 2, where grid-like arrangement makes life much easier.
Does the job.

blaaislaai

Expert Member
2 Monitors at work
2 Monitors at home

Often I feel like I need 3 for both, depending on the workload

GoB

Expert Member
Problem for me is I'd need 8 monitors to avoid switching. 2 to 4 per task - but I have to switch tasks constantly. Switching effort on 1 monitor becomes simpler than on 2-7. I've seen people struggle with Windows not being on the monitor they expected - too slow for me.