Do you want a free VPS? - Always free - from Oracle

Speedster

Honorary Master
What would be the best VPN (ideally opensource / free) to host on this VPS

|tera|

Master of Messengers
What would be the best VPN (ideally opensource / free) to host on this VPS
Wireguard. There are a few tutorials, but haven't managed to fix it yet.
Anyone know if we can install Xrdp on this instance and if so how
Tried it a while back. Didn't seem to work.
I doubt the VPS has enough resources for a Window Manager/Desktop Environment.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Why would you want to use a VCC?
The "$1000" payment would still go off, it doesn't matter if you use your credit card or VCC.
I understand if they got hacked or leaked credit card details. But using a VCC will not stop any payments?

Also, if you consider using a VPN on this for streaming, most of the IP ranges has been blocked.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Why would you want to use a VCC?
The "$1000" payment would still go off, it doesn't matter if you use your credit card or VCC.
I understand if they got hacked or leaked credit card details. But using a VCC will not stop any payments?

Also, if you consider using a VPN on this for streaming, most of the IP ranges has been blocked.
Nobody said anything about stopping payments or paying $1000 in fees.
As said in the first post. It's a temporary charge of 1euro to verify the account.
You ONLY pay if you choose to upgrade. You cannot be charged otherwise.
The VPS does support VPN, so your comment about blocked IP ranges doesn't make any sense. This is a Virtual Server. You decide what it can or can not do.

William1102

Nobody said anything about stopping payments or paying $1000 in fees.
As said in the first post. It's a temporary charge of 1euro to verify the account.
You ONLY pay if you choose to upgrade. You cannot be charged otherwise.
The VPS does support VPN, so your comment about blocked IP ranges doesn't make any sense. This is a Virtual Server. You decide what it can or can not do.

Even tried a higher spec VPS as I have £250 of trial credit and I still cannot connect with xrdp installed

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Even tried a higher spec VPS as I have £250 of trial credit and I still cannot connect with xrdp installed
Look for a better guide/tutorial. Try with both XFCE and Gnome (Ubuntu).
If you still can't, ask on Oracle support forums.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Did you use the VCN wizard?
If not, you had to do it before creating the instance.
You also need to make sure you create an Internet Compatible VCN.
Afterwards you need to create the rules: ingress/egress.
Then you have to use Ubuntu to open your ports according to the rules.
@|tera| @willsotaku

Please will you share examples of the ingress/egress rules you used to get working. I'm trying to get a wireguard server running but client just won't handshake with the server.

I've always had a bit of a blind spot with firewall rules and I've been banging my head against it for about a day now! Ingress rules for SSH and ping work OK so not sure where I have gone wrong

I mainly used these tutorials for the set up:
https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/creatingnetwork.htm
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/wireguard-vpn-server-ubuntu
https://iamstoxe.com/posts/how-to-s...d-wireguard-vpn-server-in-the-cloud-for-free/

Any tips will be appreciated.

EDIT: i enabled UFW logs on the server and I can see the Wireguard client making connections so the VCN ingress rule must be OK.

Last edited:

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Quite cool that you can have up to 4 ARM instances on the free tier with total of 24GB RAM - that's enough for a Docker Swarm or k8s cluster to play around with.

s0lar

Expert Member
Quite cool that you can have up to 4 ARM instances on the free tier with total of 24GB RAM - that's enough for a Docker Swarm or k8s cluster to play around with.
Challenge accepted :)

Will sure beat my franken home cluster cobbled together on old dead screen laptops.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
@|tera| @willsotaku

Please will you share examples of the ingress/egress rules you used to get working. I'm trying to get a wireguard server running but client just won't handshake with the server.

I've always had a bit of a blind spot with firewall rules and I've been banging my head against it for about a day now! Ingress rules for SSH and ping work OK so not sure where I have gone wrong

I mainly used these tutorials for the set up:
https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/creatingnetwork.htm
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/wireguard-vpn-server-ubuntu
https://iamstoxe.com/posts/how-to-s...d-wireguard-vpn-server-in-the-cloud-for-free/

Any tips will be appreciated.

EDIT: i enabled UFW logs on the server and I can see the Wireguard client making connections so the VCN ingress rule must be OK.
Just add the destination port when making a rule. Not a source port.
You also need to open it on the Public subnet only.

UFW needs to be enabled. Make sure it is upon restart of the Server. If you have to manually enable it, you need to resolve that first.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Just add the destination port when making a rule. Not a source port.
You also need to open it on the Public subnet only.

UFW needs to be enabled. Make sure it is upon restart of the Server. If you have to manually enable it, you need to resolve that first.

Thanks. That sounds exactly like what I have. Not sure what the problem is.

s0lar

Expert Member
Right am I the only one that cannot sign up for the free cloud? All details are correct but the start trial button is greyed out. Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind PEBCAK..

Nuro

Expert Member
Had a brief look, would be nice if I can figure out how to get Arch onto an arm instance.