DoC outrageously behind on broadband and IT jobs targets

Beri

Expert Member
Really!!!???
Must be a mistake. They work so hard. Not easy to fill those shoes...... Yip the red ones

guest2013-1

they can't finalize a national broadband strategy in 6 months? wtf?

if I can't finalize a strategy of how to approach a problem within a few hours and then break it down into smaller achievable steps and start to implement it, that reflects badly on me and my ability to do a proper job. Why is no one getting fired for this?!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
... and in other news scientists have discovered that it is nearly impossible to shove a golf ball down a hosepipe!

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Aha! So the reason they 'balked' at the idea of a privatised national internet wholesaler is invalid! And if they did eff-all then what were the internal spending pressures? If it did not contribute to the solution then it must have been towards the problem... In other words these thieves are just enriching themselves and doing bugger all for the country and its people!

Thanks MyBroadband. I asked this exact question at the time and now it is answered.

They are robbers!!!

I mean you can make pretty promises till you are blue in the face, but if you don't deliver then its just good intentions and you know what they say about the road to hell...

The only way to nurture job creation in any business is to let the business thrive. The bigger the business the more people it can employ. Come now it does not take a sodding genius to figure that out. But no... Businesses are throttle at every turn for more money to uplift the people, but do they get uplifted? - No. And business thrives when there is healthy competition. Sure one business might fall, but 2 more will sprout up to take it's place if there is a market. And the market (us the people) need to be able to afford to buy products from businesses. But no... They throttle the consumer by making sure services are outrageously expensive for more money to uplift the people, but do they get uplifted? -No. And on and on like a friggen broken gramaphone.

FAIL with a capital F.A.I. and L.

Last edited:

twicode

Expert Member
Dina Pule's targets for 2012

-Imagine targets with no intention of meeting
-Kick back deals for her boyfriend
-French designer shoes
-Designer outfits
-Trips to the hairdresser and stylist

grok

Honorary Master
So nothing got done .. but what's the bet they're going to get spectacular bonusses again.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
So nothing got done .. but what's the bet they're going to get spectacular bonusses again.

good bet - lets look at the facts

from the presentations of the DoC on its Annual Report for 2011/2012 before the portfolio committee on communications on the 10th and 16th of October we can find the following:

- there is no performance management policy at the DoC
- a performance assessment board was created to perform the task of determining the performance of employees and to recommend the appropriate performance bonuses
- this board recommended R2 779 000 be paid out to 146 employees below senior management level (around R19k each) and R670 000 to 12 senior management employees (R55833 each)
- the DG did not have a performance agreement for 2011/12 (and therefore would not have qualified for a performance bonus)

the opposition correctly questioned how it could be that 158 of 309 employees were paid performance bonuses when less than 50% of targets were met

looking at the budget speech today and the Auditor-General's report it is clear that things are broken at the top.

perhaps someone could supply a suitable graphic for the DoC's proposal that it work in partnership with industry incumbents in order to address the blah and deepen blah penetration?

MickeyD

RIP
I was going to say that they are rewarding mediocrity but that would be far too kind. It's more like they are being rewarded for doing fsckall.

Pada

Executive Member
IMO the top management at the DoC (eg. Dina Pule) should be given fines/penalties and fired and not just stopped from getting performance bonuses!

The only things that the DoC seemed to get done, was to waste money on senseless things, such as subsidizing TV decoders, ICT Indaba and salaries.

ICASA actually looks pretty good now. :(

iByte

This is f***ng shocking, well... actually it isn't, we all knew they'll never get anything done. Case in point: At the MyBroadband conference when asked whether the DoC was invited to join the conference, Rudolf said that unfortunately not, because every time he invited the DoC in the past they either didn't respond or didn't pitch. So, basically, they don't give a rats arse.
On a side-note, though, it seems neither do we. Let me compare two threads: The thread about uncapped data on MWEB or Afrihost, and this thread. The one on uncapped data reaches so many pages that the pagination thingy at the bottom can't display the numbers for all the pages (and that's after half a day of bitching and moaning)... this thread is one page big - after two days! So, it seems, we as a community also don't give a rats arse about these issues. I'm just saying ;)

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I think they are rewarding not getting in the way of a good ministerial Fest. It is abundantly clear that all DoC planning and functions are pushed to the side whilst amendment bills are itu dabbling and a minister participating in an AGM while whining and dining with large incumbents (not a spelling mistake).

My guess is that there is a breakdown between the adminocrats in the DoC, the Minister, Cabinet, Treasury and ICASA each of whom have an agenda. The adminocrats agenda is the simplest - keep the job - and this is discharged by doing nothing and staying out of the way.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I honestly think that the government are doing their damnedest to drill us into a nation where apathy is the de facto reaction..