ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Well if our esteemed DoC leaders hadn't been so full of shyte, we wouldn't be in this mess.

If we miss the ITU deadline, there will only be one lot of people to blame, and its the DoC.

rrh

Expert Member
What with all the changes in direction I'm a little confused.

Can anyone tell me if - come switch-on - a TV with a DVB-T2 interface will receive broadcasts, or is it the intention (as was once discussed) to use 'smart' STBs that include encryption ?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
All these delays and explanations must make for some good chuckling in Naspers board meetings.

MickeyD

RIP
All these delays and explanations must make for some good chuckling in Naspers board meetings.

... and for plenty of angry epiphets in the various Telco board meetings. This is delaying the allocation of the digital dividend.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
If you have a digital TV service you should be allowed and responsible for your own encoding device. What's the ****ing problem here?!!!

For the love of ****! In the USA you can get Google TV by buying a special unit from Google that you connect to your TV. What the **** is up with these draconic legislation? We will never get ahead like this. ****! We will not even get on par.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
What with all the changes in direction I'm a little confused.

Can anyone tell me if - come switch-on - a TV with a DVB-T2 interface will receive broadcasts, or is it the intention (as was once discussed) to use 'smart' STBs that include encryption ?
That's the general idea. We've been watching digital terrestrial TV since August. Shouldn't be too much of a train smash if they decide to encrypt - most TVs with DVB-T2 capabilities have a CI slot, so you can just install a Conditional Access Module (CAM) and you'll be able to watch TV.

marine1

Honorary Master
This gvt could not arrange a piss up in a brewery. I'm surprised they can actually find their way to work or even tie their own shoe laces

dj_jyno

Expert Member
This gvt could not arrange a piss up in a brewery. I'm surprised they can actually find their way to work or even tie their own shoe laces
They can't... that's why most of the ministers don't drive their own cars.

bruce_the_loon

If you have a digital TV service you should be allowed and responsible for your own encoding device.

The problem is that one device will be used for receiving SABC, ETV and any other broadcasters that arise, e.g Bay TV in PE, and the signal is distributed by Sentech. Should multiple broadcasters manage the single device, or should it sit with the single organization that hands the actual transmitter equipment? Will I need seperate conditional access authorizations to watch ETV and SABC?

That is the question being asked by the DoC and I tend to agree with them that it should be handled by a single organization. DoC and ICASA tend to be useless, but Sentech does seem to have its act in gear when it comes to the management of our transmission infrastructure so far.

bruce_the_loon

That's the general idea. We've been watching digital terrestrial TV since August. Shouldn't be too much of a train smash if they decide to encrypt - most TVs with DVB-T2 capabilities have a CI slot, so you can just install a Conditional Access Module (CAM) and you'll be able to watch TV.

Do you think the UK Freeview DVB-T2 devices will work here if they do go conditional access? There's a nice Samsung dual DVB-T2 PVR I've been eyeing if we don't import the things like we stopped with the analog PVRs.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
The problem is that one device will be used for receiving SABC, ETV and any other broadcasters that arise, e.g Bay TV in PE, and the signal is distributed by Sentech. Should multiple broadcasters manage the single device, or should it sit with the single organization that hands the actual transmitter equipment? Will I need seperate conditional access authorizations to watch ETV and SABC?

That is the question being asked by the DoC and I tend to agree with them that it should be handled by a single organization. DoC and ICASA tend to be useless, but Sentech does seem to have its act in gear when it comes to the management of our transmission infrastructure so far.

But look at DSTV. You have a DSTV decoder and a DSTV smart card. Decoder = small form factor PC (nothing fancy there). So you should even be able to use your PC if you have a smart card reader installed. The license and security is in the card. There rest is just fluff.

It's going to be digital. They can have exquisite user statistics. The broadcasters can pay Sentech by the number of users and their distribution.

Last edited:

markings

Expert Member

Once certain standards are agreed upon is access and control not just a software issue?
If that is the case then there is no need to delay the manufacture of STBs until this court issue is sorted out.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Do you think the UK Freeview DVB-T2 devices will work here if they do go conditional access? There's a nice Samsung dual DVB-T2 PVR I've been eyeing if we don't import the things like we stopped with the analog PVRs.
In theory it should work if they have a Common Interface slot. Have a link to the PVR?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It will fail. DVB-S has already captured the market, its got a 18 year head start FFS.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It will fail. DVB-S has already captured the market, its got a 18 year head start FFS.

We've been down this road before Roux, DVB-S is already being left behind by DVB-S2, but over and above that, the pricing for the DVB-S equipment is too much for most people, as well as the recurring monthly fees.

DVB-T2 will very quickly be much larger than DVB-S or DVB-S2 in this country.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
We've been down this road before Roux, DVB-S is already being left behind by DVB-S2, but over and above that, the pricing for the DVB-S equipment is too much for most people, as well as the recurring monthly fees.

DVB-T2 will very quickly be much larger than DVB-S or DVB-S2 in this country.

Yeah, we've had this discussion before, last time round you sang the same tune. However reality took a different path if we look at the amount of DVB-T versus DVB-S installations that took place since your last rendition.