DoC weighs in on digital TV free-to-air encryption debate

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Just shutdown terrestrial TV broadcasts already. Everyone is using satellite anyway.

Neverwhere

Just shutdown terrestrial TV broadcasts already. Everyone is using satellite anyway.
I cancelled satelite ages ago - I'm just using the internet :) a 4MB line + uncapped gives me way more than dstv.

Also, I needed to sign up for a TV licence to buy the tv, which is only connected to my pc - and its a major headache to prove to SABC it's not connected to TV, + removing the tuner.. At least when these set top boxes are out, I can cancel my licence on the grounds that I don't own one.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I hope they make it a requirement that you need a tv license to get a STB.

Yeah. I see so many shacks with satellite dishes these days. ;)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I hope you are not being sarcastic because I also see shacks with dishes. Most of them are pointing to DStv but I have seen a few pointing at TopTV.

Personally I have been without broadcast television for a month now, and I'm loving it, my uncapped internet serves me well.

viper2110

So when can I cancel my TV License. I don’t use my TV for SABC or DSTV but still need the license to buy a TV and use it.

Last edited:

MFour

Expert Member
I smell a rat. Me thinks they just wanting excuses to charge us for a TV license we don't use or want.

Stalker

So when can I cancel my TV License. I don’t use my TV for SABC or DSTV but still need the license to buy a TV and use it.

Apparently the license actually covers radio signal as well so even if you don't have a TV but own a radio - like a car radio you actually still need the license although no one really cares about it

Tns

Executive Member
you still need a tv license cause you own a device capable of receiving a broadcast wherever there is one or not.

narf23

There is a reason there are so many shacks with satellite dishes..
Cost for DSTV EasyView is R20 per month which gives I think 15 channels (and less cost if you pay up front for the year..)

A while back I needed to replace my antenna and the quote was more than a DSTV install - went the DSTV route, paid for a year and picture quailty crystal clear.

Last edited:

Tns

Executive Member
Cost for DSTV EasyView is R20 per month which gives I think 15 channels (and less cost if you pay up front for the year..)

A while back I needed to replace my antenna and the quote was more than a DSTV install - went the DSTV route, paid for a year and picture quailty crystal clear.
and the electricity is for free......

james_turton

Lamb chops

Please can Jan Vermeulen have a new photo taken, after a shave? I get a little fright every time I open one of his articles...

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Please can Jan Vermeulen have a new photo taken, after a shave? I get a little fright every time I open one of his articles...

Oogabooga!

That's how I look in real life (mostly). I have had a haircut since this photo was taken, though.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I have it on good authority that Jan’s special powers lie in his hair. He cut his hair recently, but his powers remained. We can therefore only assume that his beard is his power centre, so shaving it may not be an option :D

falcon786

Honorary Master

+1 When I moved into my flat I had a similar situation,an antenna +installation was going to be R850 while a dstv dish including easy view and installation at the time was in total R1000, so I paid the extra R150 and now and then I activate the full dstv for the weekend but normally cant be bothered to pay dstv R600+ a month for repeats of almost everything they show constantly.Plus the "i" button for info is priceless IMO,i mean its 2012 who wants to still use a book type tv guide?

Internet gets you alot more than that dstv subscription.:)

Well atleast he made it into his look/style unlike one of the other regular writers here who just looks like he is too lazy to be bothered if he looks untidy in a bottom up pic....cough cough.....ben kelly cough cough:p

Last edited:

james_turton

I have it on good authority that Jan’s special powers lie in his hair. He cut his hair recently, but his powers remained. We can therefore only assume that his beard is his power centre, so shaving it may not be an option :D

Lol, well ok then. I guess it does have a bit of a Wolverine thing going on.

Last edited: