• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Docker - trying to understand it

xrapidx

Honorary Master
In the Home-automation thread I see a few people running things via Docker containers, instead of derailing that thread with questions, thought I'd start a new one.

I currently have a setup as follows
HP Gen8 Microserver
Running:
SABNzb
Sonarr
Kodi (main library manager, although library is in a msql database on nas) - seldom used as a media player as its in a dedicated cinema room.

The server is very stable - usually up times of over 100 days.

Then throughout the house I have various model Pi's serving various functions (OpenSprinkler, Media Players, Home-Assistant, IP Camera recording/motion detection, interface to alarm via python)

That's the background

----

I'm thinking of re-purposing the Gen8 to serve me better, doing more server type work - managing the home-automation, IP Camera's, SABNZB, sonarr, etc. i.e. not a glorified media player.

I was hoping for advice on the best route to go setting this up? Are docker containers the way to go? What's an ideal host? (I have zero experience with docker, growing experience (again) with linux)

(the whole reason I'm wanting to do this is a more stable environment for home automation, the Pi isn't cutting it - and downtime's are annoying)

grump_grouch

Getting Home Assistant up and going is relatively pain-free. Below is for doing it in Ubuntu Server

Code:
sudo apt-get install docker.io
sudo apt-get install socat
sudo apt-get install jq
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon
sudo su -
curl -sL [url]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install[/url] | bash -s

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Should I look at Ubuntu server or desktop as a host? Find Ubuntu on my laptop terribly unstable.

grump_grouch

Depends on your requirements. If you will be using the machine as a desktop in addition to running the various services, then the server edition won't do it for you.

As I have various VMs performing different tasks, I tend to go for the server edition as I do not need a GUI.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
no... it'll be headless - in a cupboard... so don't need a gui.
Like I said before UnRAID for the win.

There is a WebGUI for easy management of things and a huge "App Store" of docker containers to make it very simple.

To answer your question about Docker's consider it like a VM but for individual applications without the OS being loaded for each.

There is a central common OS which is the Docker Engine host and all the dockers run inside that in a "jailed" configuration. Every app therefore becomes "portable" as such.

I haven't personally tried Docker on Windows but I would imagine it's quite messy.

Here's a nice video that explains it nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJczs06pD8

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Won't be using any redundant storage functionality though? Everything will run off a single 120GB SSD

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Won't be using any redundant storage functionality though? Everything will run off a single 120GB SSD
Even as purely an OS it still does a very good job of things as a Docker/VM host especially for a headless configuration.

But sure you could go for a variety of other options too.

There are dedicated things like Rancher, Ubuntu Core and CoreOS as well but I haven't fiddled with them.

Could even try Docker for Windows if you fancy.

https://www.docker.com/docker-windows

Xzib1t

Expert Member
I went the docker route for my media management and I couldn't be happier, just waiting for official support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I have:
>SabNZBd
>Duplicati
>Sonarr, Radarr
>Hydra
>Deluge
>Portainer (effectively a Docker WebUI)
>Plex running in docker containers.

Considering moving my UniFi controller to a container as well. All of this ran perfectly fine on an old lenovo tower (i3 and 4 Gb of RAM)

Edit: Checkout: https://www.linuxserver.io/
Edit2: I should add that when I started on the docker journey I too had zero experience in Linux, especially looking at a blank terminal screen) :D

Last edited:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Regarding docker - if I decide to change something on the hose side, e.g. the OS, the machine, etc... can I just copy the container, no config required?

Duan

Have a look at XPEnology it works really nice on the gen8 and has Docker as an “app” that you can install

Xzib1t

Expert Member
What is the host system currently?
Same Lenovo Tower, with the i3 @ 3.5Ghz running Ubuntu 16.04.4 Server LTS, I added more RAM which I found out wasn't actually necessary (the more the better right). And added 3 more HDDs

Regarding docker - if I decide to change something on the hose side, e.g. the OS, the machine, etc... can I just copy the container, no config required?
Yeah, if you map the containers storage to a location on your server (eg: /opt/appdata/Hydra/config) all you need to do is copy the contents and it will preserve your config. (I have to admit I haven't done it myself as the need hasn't arisen).

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If I understand their licensing correctly, the free (trial?) version of unRAID only supports a max of 3 devices with a 250GB limit per device?
Might have changed.

I seem to recall it was all access for 30 days and then you have to upgrade to full license.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Awesome - I'll probably give it a go next week on Ubuntu. My home-assistant setup is becoming more and more unstable, so either the Pi is shot, or the SD card - took a backup this time :p

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I went the docker route for my media management and I couldn't be happier, just waiting for official support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I have:
>SabNZBd
>Duplicati
>Sonarr, Radarr
>Hydra
>Deluge
>Portainer (effectively a Docker WebUI)
>Plex running in docker containers.

Considering moving my UniFi controller to a container as well. All of this ran perfectly fine on an old lenovo tower (i3 and 4 Gb of RAM)

Edit: Checkout: https://www.linuxserver.io/
Edit2: I should add that when I started on the docker journey I too had zero experience in Linux, especially looking at a blank terminal screen) :D
Hydra is an odd inclusion there? Or is this not the same Hydra I'm thinking of?

Yup that's the entire idea of docker that it's completely portable.

Can change the hosts right underneath it.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Being portable at least makes the effort worth it, not sure how the Gen8 celeron CPU is going to cope.