Does a non terrible media player exist

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hi all

I have a spare monitor that I'm trying to convert into some form of media player for a not well off family member.

I'll be paying for whatever solution it ends up being, so I'm weighing up the options.

Personally I feel like just buying some old chitty pc would work better than a media player, but then I need to go actually look for something. Or maybe a pc on a stick? A MI box would be cool, but from my understanding these media boxes are actually terrible. Am I wrong? Cause looking at reviews it seems half don't support Netflix, half don't support dstv, half become outdated or shouldn't be updated etc.

Any assistance welcome

chrisc

Executive Member
Have a MyGica 495X lying around here, plus a wireless mouse. Look up if it will suit your purpose and you can have it for R300

This is under half-price. I used it for a week but it won’t load Britbox so got an Amazon Fire Cube

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Have a MyGica 495X lying around here, plus a wireless mouse. Look up if it will suit your purpose and you can have it for R300

This is under half-price. I used it for a week but it won’t load Britbox so got an Amazon Fire Cube
Bargain.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hi all

I have a spare monitor that I'm trying to convert into some form of media player for a not well off family member.

I'll be paying for whatever solution it ends up being, so I'm weighing up the options.

Personally I feel like just buying some old chitty pc would work better than a media player, but then I need to go actually look for something. Or maybe a pc on a stick? A MI box would be cool, but from my understanding these media boxes are actually terrible. Am I wrong? Cause looking at reviews it seems half don't support Netflix, half don't support dstv, half become outdated or shouldn't be updated etc.

Any assistance welcome
Have you tried a decent encoder like Handbrake?

What you want is a google certified Android TV like a Ematic, ~R1200, its very decent and can play pretty much anything though VLC.

B-1

Expert Member
The mi box, Ematic and nvidia shield are pretty solid and I listed them in terms of their speed from my experience. The mi and nvidia ones have the backing of big companies so should get support for a long time. Im not sure about the ematic but its popular.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
ROFL at Apple TV

As a preferer of apple, I would have to agree with you there. As a device it’s pretty decent, but it’s the one device where apples lockdown gets in the way of using the apps I want.

I’d need a us Apple account for it to work properly, and then it’s outside my family as you cannot add members outside your account region.

I think for the yanks it’s probably the best option, but outside yank-land for anyone who wants things more useful than Netflix it’s just going to be a waste, especially with there being actually better Android devices out there.

Besides I have the AppleTV app on my MiStick

Datura

Captain Faptastic
As a preferer of apple, I would have to agree with you there. As a device it’s pretty decent, but it’s the one device where apples lockdown gets in the way of using the apps I want.

I’d need a us Apple account for it to work properly, and then it’s outside my family as you cannot add members outside your account region.

I think for the yanks it’s probably the best option, but outside yank-land for anyone who wants things more useful than Netflix it’s just going to be a waste, especially with there being actually better Android devices out there.

Besides I have the AppleTV app on my MiStick
I have an AppleTV 2 that I am going to jailbreak today. At the moment it is basically a Netflix box.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi all

Any assistance welcome
Actually the mibox and MI TV stick do support Netflix, but the Nvidia shield at 5k is the best of the lot.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Turing

Hi all

Any assistance welcome
Mi box constantly lags and is just terrible to use. You cannot stream 4K with it, even 1080p is a hit and a miss. I got an Apple TV 4K and it runs like a dream.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member