Does a non terrible media player exist

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Get a shield or Apple TV, the rest are all **** and you will be hard resetting everytime you want to use it.
nVidia Sheild is the best media box I have ever had. 4 years later, still loving it (2017 model)

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Get a shield or Apple TV, the rest are all **** and you will be hard resetting everytime you want to use it.

While not entirely accurate, I'd say this is good advice for anyone that doesn't want to spend the time researching this kind of stuff.

If you're an Android user get the Shield, if you're an Apple user get the Apple TV. No fuss.

If you're on a strict budget, then do some research and accept that you will have to make some sacrifices with some things.

ROFL at Apple TV

Apple TV 4K is an excellent device. Way faster and smoother than my Shield. It has some limitations with codec support compared to the Shield but that's mainly around multichannel audio that most normal people wouldn't even care about.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
MiBox is great but I still can't get Britbox to work on the damned thing...

epah

Expert Member
Mi box constantly lags and is just terrible to use. You cannot stream 4K with it, even 1080p is a hit and a miss. I got an Apple TV 4K and it runs like a dream.
getting an apple tv is the best thing you ever did for yourself, those R1000 android boxes are just terrible, i dont know why people spend money on them.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Yes but I cant see mibox play a 4k 50gb plus mkv file over wifi , if it can do that then great, but really doubt it can process that fast enough. Then to add Dolby vision and atmos also.

I’ve done a 92GB 4k 10bit 7.1 streaming off the internet. My media server is in Netherlands, I do zero local streaming.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Hell they finally made one, and then made it white. However the Mi devices are cheaper and the MiStick would pretty much be the same thing and it’s half the price of the chrome cast.
1080p only so no not the same... the new Mi stick will have 4k and av1 support.
Yes but I cant see mibox play a 4k 50gb plus mkv file over wifi , if it can do that then great, but really doubt it can process that fast enough. Then to add Dolby vision and atmos also.
2160p 10 bit HEVC H265 HE-AAC 9.1ch mkv files are a thing. No need to muck about with 50gb files.
getting an apple tv is the best thing you ever did for yourself, those R1000 android boxes are just terrible, i dont know why people spend money on them.
Kodi for one. VPN support is another. I can go on all day.

epah

Expert Member
1080p only so no not the same... the new Mi stick will have 4k and av1 support.

2160p 10 bit HEVC H265 HE-AAC 9.1ch mkv files are a thing. No need to muck about with 50gb files.

Kodi for one. VPN support is another. I can go on all day.
No not you BareBackstreetboy. Lets ignore each other for now.

Zarnicate

Because you can't do diddly shyte else on an Apple TV. Limited to what Apple approves

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've also got 2 Miboxes at home, never had any problem with them. Netflix, Showmax, DSTV, Youtube, Spotify all work great on them over 5Ghz wifi. You can also plug a USB LAN adapter into the USB slot if you really want to hardwire it with ethernet cable. Plus Chromecast works like a charm on both of them.

Muttley

Expert Member
Also running a Mi Box - got a usb to ethernet dongle and it connects via cable - works well.
I've also loaded Kodi onto it which it struggles a bit with but I can't fault it for the price

Snyper564

Executive Member
I have a MiBox and a MiStick and they both work flawlessly, box is a tad faster and does 4k, stick is limited to 1080 but works very well.

Not sure who told you it was ****.
I have a mibox too couldnt be happier just added the hard wired cable so my network runs at full speed always

grok

Honorary Master
I still use my old 160gb classic iPod I bought off ebay many years ago for nostalgia's sake.

Only thing (well two) is I get my music in FLAC format so have to convert, else 2) do the whole roxbox conversion thing, upgrade to solid state memory like a quad iFlash with 4x256gb SDHC cards but since I'd have to upgrade the battery and everything else like a thicker case etc the costs mount up, hence why I haven't really pulled the trigger on that yet.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I think the Mibox gets a bit of flak because when they first came out a few years ago they were admittedly buggy as hell. The WIFI was flaky and some apps were a bit flaky. However Xiaomi has really done a good job in updating the Android TV firmware and both old Mibox and the Mibox S are super reliable now and you can't beat the price compared to some other Android TV boxes.

stefan9

Executive Member
I am happy with my mediabox maverick 4k. Google,netflix and Amazon certified. Have had have no issues with any of netflix,Amazon prime, Apple tv, dstv or showmax.