Does anyone here know elderly people with co-mordities who have recovered from covid?

zolly

Expert Member
So last night I was doing my weekly catch up with my parents when my father, a retired doctor who is 78, told me how he went out to treat one of his friends who wasn't feeling well. This is in an area in KZN which is considered a covid 19 hotspot. He didn't give me a full run-down of the symptoms but that his friend was sweating and not doing well so he went to check on him, and it turns out he had a silent heart attack. Having been keeping abreast of the covid studies, I have read heart attacks of varying degrees can occur because of covid infection.

Needless to say I got very upset when he mentioned this to me, and when I pointed out all the reasons why he countered and said he had worn a mask and sanitised himself and the patient properly. I pointed out to him that he shouldn't even have been treating this guy in the first place. It should done by younger doctors who are healthier, as my dad has blood pressure issues and is at very least pre-diabetic. I then proceeded to ask him that if he gets sick that's his choice, but what about our mother? If she gets this disease because of him then what?

He then realised how badly he ****ed up and made some excuse about needing the toilet to get off the call.

Needless to say I've been anxious as hell since last night and have spoken to my mother about the situation. She knew but wasn't happy with him going, but their relationship is terrible and he wouldn't have listened to her anyway. She's doing her best to keep her distance from him. I've since informed my brother and sister as well...

Anyway, now that everyone knows why I started the thread, I just wanted to find out if anyone knows anyone who's old and with commorbidities who's managed to survive this disease? Official stats put mortality as high as 50% for some commorbidities, with others being around 30%.

Edit. Fixed a typo :p

Last edited:

VooDooC

Expert Member
I don't even know of anyone in my immediate circle of family and friends that got the Virus. There's some rumors at the office of about 4 people that might have it, but nothing concrete so far.

Maybe I just don't have a lot of friends/family...

SAguy

Executive Member
I know of a few friends in their 30's who have gotten it, they recovering fine.

I know of one aunty in our church that stays in a frail care home, she had it and has since recovered. I don't know her age but I assume she's around 80. Old people getting locked into their rooms with big no entry signs on their doors...

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So last night I was doing my weekly catch up with my parents when my father, a retired doctor who is 78, told me how he went out to treat one of his friends who wasn't feeling well. This is in an area in KZN which is considered a covid 19 hotspot. He didn't give me a full run-down of the symptoms but that his friend was sweating and not doing well so he went to check on him, and it turns out he had a silent heart attack. Having been keeping abreast of the covid studies, I have read heart attacks of varying degrees can occur because of covid infection.

Needless to say I got very upset when he mentioned this to me, and when I pointed out all the reasons why he countered and said he had worn a mask and sanitised himself and the patient properly. I pointed out to him that he shouldn't even have been treating this guy in the first place. It should done by younger doctors who are healthier, as my dad has blood pressure issues and is at very least pre-diabetic. I then proceeded to ask him that if he gets sick that's his choice, but what about our mother? If she gets this disease because of him then what?

He then realised how badly he ****ed up and made some excuse about needing the toilet to get off the call.

Needless to say I've been anxious as hell since last night and have spoken to my mother about the situation. She knew but wasn't happy with him going, but their relationship is terrible and he wouldn't have listened to her anyway. She's doing her best to keep her distance from him. I've since informed my brother and sister as well...

Anyway, now that everyone knows why I started the thread, I just wanted to find out if anyone knows anyone who's old and with commodities who's managed to survive this disease? Official stats put mortality as high as 50% for some commorbidities, with others being around 30%.
Bra stop worrying yourself over something that you honestly don't even know at this point, he knows he messed up and will be more careful now I am sure. You worry yourself sick over something that he possibly doesn't even have, if he turns out to have it then deal with it as it comes, don't stress yourself for nothing now.

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
I know of 3 people in their late 60’s and 70’s with various comorbidities. One had flu like symptoms, one needed to be hospitalized with oxygen (not incubated), and the 3rd was in an induced coma on a ventilator for a full month. All survived, but it was a close call on the last one.

More reliable than anecdotal evidence, however, would be the stats. The risks are roughly 10x higher when older, but the odds of death are still pretty low. Still better to not roll the dice of course.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Elderly ex-husband of a dog walking friend, post-cancer operation. Was sick but recovered fine.

neoprema

Expert Member
It really seems to be mostly random, at least until we have exact markers for what causes what. My parents at home, 80 and 77, are basically coming to terms with the fact they will die from COVID-19, its a matter of when they get infected not if.

Its very sad, and difficult to manage.

Carol35

Expert Member
It really seems to be mostly random, at least until we have exact markers for what causes what. My parents at home, 80 and 77, are basically coming to terms with the fact they will die from COVID-19, its a matter of when they get infected not if.

Shame that’s terrible...they must be so anxious all the time. :( Have you tried to tell them they are not going to die because of Covid?

Splinter

Honorary Master
I know a 60 year person from work who had it didn't even know about. Slim and fit though.

Splinter

Honorary Master

I think this is the wrong mindset. While obviously more aggressive with the elderly, it is not an immediate death sentence if they get it.

RedViking

Nord of the South

Someone should take their TV or Internet away.

Suspect99

Executive Member

Anyway, now that everyone knows why I started the thread, I just wanted to find out if anyone knows anyone who's old and with commodities who's managed to survive this disease? Official stats put mortality as high as 50% for some commorbidities, with others being around 30%.
My grandparents had it. My grandpa has a pacemaker , had really bad pneumonia last year , was in a hospital bed for 2 weeks last year and is still really frail.
He has fully recovered from covid in that state. My grandma as well

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
OP, your dad may have screwed up, but he is a doctor and I believe he knows which precautions to take. He has spent most of his life interacting with people with various severities of flu symptoms and avoiding getting sick.

As for people who are really afraid of dying from covid, it's not that difficult to dodge if you are retired and try a bit.
I'm sure if they reach out, someone will be able to help them with their grocery shopping, which they then just need to sanitise and let stand for a couple of days before using.

I know my dad won't really try, since he is set in his twice weekly shopping trips and what not.