Does anyone here know elderly people with co-mordities who have recovered from covid?

Shaun108

Executive Member
My friend (An educator from Apollo Secondary School) was close to 60. She died due to Covid complications a few weeks ago. Article was on IOL/news.

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, my friend's 73 year old wife. She also has asthma. No covid symptoms but clear today

Grant

Honorary Master
A very good friend's father.
Male, 70s, hypertension.

Completed day 14 of self quarantine 3days ago.
Back to normal.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Is it "does anyone" or "do anyone" ?

My brain keep on telling me it must be "do". :laugh:

"D"

Expert Member
I just wanted to find out if anyone knows anyone who's old and with commodities who's managed to survive this disease? Official stats put mortality as high as 50% for some commorbidities, with others being around 30%.
I only know of two:

Betty White
Chuck Norris

Grant

Honorary Master
Expecting bad news from the hospital about my mother at any moment....
Well don't give up, no matter the news. Continue lobbying on your mother's behalf.

I'm on an ICU support forum - until around December it was regular ICU stuff, car accidents, cardiac issues, strokes etc.
Now everything is exclusively covid related.
It's a roller coaster ride for patients and their families. Some have not made it, but most did.

Urist

Expert Member
Well don't give up, no matter the news. Continue lobbying on your mother's behalf.

I'm on an ICU support forum - until around December it was regular ICU stuff, car accidents, cardiac issues, strokes etc.
It's a roller coaster ride for patients and their families. Some have not made it, but most did.
She's very old, Know what to expect, i'd give anything to be with her now.

neoprema

Expert Member

Do you have visibility into how the ICU admissions are linked to COVID?

The reason I ask is I heard a hospital (in the north west i think?) had a car accident patient who died - of COVID-19. I get the feeling lately anything serious and/or fatal just gets written-off as COVID with little to no testing?

reactor_sa

Executive Member
OP, your dad may have screwed up, but he is a doctor and I believe he knows which precautions to take. He has spent most of his life interacting with people with various severities of flu symptoms and avoiding getting sick.

As for people who are really afraid of dying from covid, it's not that difficult to dodge if you are retired and try a bit.
I'm sure if they reach out, someone will be able to help them with their grocery shopping, which they then just need to sanitise and let stand for a couple of days before using.

I know my dad won't really try, since he is set in his twice weekly shopping trips and what not.
My folks are the same, too set in their ways to stay home, especially my dad.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

The reason I ask is I heard a hospital (in the north west i think?) had a car accident patient who died - of COVID-19. I get the feeling lately anything serious and/or fatal just gets written-off as COVID with little to no testing?
I've seen the meme, but until I get it from a credible source, I'm writing it off as one of those fools who believe it's some kind of hoax by the illuminati who are spreading BS.

Grant

Honorary Master
She's very old, Know what to expect, i'd give anything to be with her now.
insist you be allowed to see her,
her icu physician has the authority - but you will have to "dress up".

where are you ?

also, if her medical team have determined there is absolutely nothing left they are able to do for her, they should be (or already have) moving her out of icu to a palliative environment - where visitation is possible.
if you are in w/c, there are very clear palliative care protocols in place for this very reason:
(this is not a public document, so not posting here:
wcpc.jpg

Grant

Honorary Master

stop "hearing" things (especially from facebook and whatsapp groups)
the car accident patient probably died due to cardiac arrest as a result of a transected aorta resulting out of a blunt chest trauma / rapid deceleration injury. they did not die from a car accident.

people do not die from covid itself - but the devastation covid is able to unleash on the body, it's system and organs

Grant

Honorary Master
It's rare for me, but I'm at a loss for words.

This I will say tho, your mother was spared the horrors that very frequently come with heavy sedation or induced coma during mechanical ventilation in an ICU environment.
ICU delerium, and the nightmares many suffer while unconscious is mind boggling.

There are moron keyboard warriors without a day of either academic or clinical experience here who continually invest into the "its only flu" narrative.
To them, as I said in another thread, "go fukk yourselves".

For the "just flu" pinheads, feast your eyes - a taste of cape town:
these people had their lives cut short - and this is happening countrywide, day and night, as you bang away at your little keyboards:

aba1.jpg

aba2.jpg

mercury12

Expert Member
Two of my close friends had family members infected. On both sides those infected were between 60-80, interestingly those with comorbidities recovered with very little symptoms. Two elderly males with no commodities ended up in icu but both recovered. A friend who stays in my complex, early 40s with no comorbidities, ended up in icu for 3 weeks and just recovered. He said he was close to losing his life. Spoke to him over the weekend and he was struggling to breathe while speaking to me for a few minutes. A colleague’s mother in her early 50s died two weeks back. From personal experience, it’s just been strange how different people are getting different levels of severity of the symptoms.