Does IQ affect ones acceptance of science?

Ponderer

Expert Member
One possible reason can be because intelligence isn't the main factor when it comes to accepting/rejecting science.
The obvious reason is that "scientism" is seen for the BS it in fact is.
"Scientism" is not science.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
The obvious reason is that "scientism" is seen for the BS it in fact is.
I love this quote from Daniel Dennet "accusations of scientism [are] an all-purpose, wild-card smear ... When someone puts forward a scientific theory that [religious critics] really don't like, they just try to discredit it as 'scientism'. But when it comes to facts, and explanations of facts, science is the only game in town."

isn't that exactly what you do with Evolution?

grok

Honorary Master
Well, there are apparently three bands of IQ.

The 100 and below dont accept, for example, Evolution, because they dont understand it.

But then the 130 and above group also dont accept Evolution, because they also dont understand it.

But the mid range, above 100 and below 130 accept Evolution because they do understand it.

It's a conundrum of sorts.
Yay! I accept evolution, therefore I am genius.
Now bow before my magnificence!!

1583304463160.png

Ponderer

Expert Member
I love this quote from Daniel Dennet "accusations of scientism [are] an all-purpose, wild-card smear ... When someone puts forward a scientific theory that [religious critics] really don't like, they just try to discredit it as 'scientism'. But when it comes to facts, and explanations of facts, science is the only game in town."

isn't that exactly what you do with Evolution?
Darwinian Evolution is not science.

Cray

Honorary Master
Ok what is it?
Am guessing it will be a variation on this ...

https://www.icr.org/article/evolution-religion-not-science/

Evolution Is Religion, Not Science

Evolutionists often insist that evolution is a proved fact of science, providing the very framework of scientific interpretation, especially in the biological sciences. This, of course, is nothing but wishful thinking. Evolution is not even a scientific hypothesis, since there is no conceivable way in which it can be tested.

THE RELIGIOUS ESSENCE OF EVOLUTIONISM

As a matter of fact, many leading evolutionists have recognized the essentially "religious" character of evolutionism. Even though they themselves believe evolution to be true, they acknowledge the fact that they believe it! "Science", however, is not supposed to be something one "believes". Science is knowledge—that which can be demonstrated and observed and repeated. Evolution cannot be proved, or even tested; it can only be believed.

Ponderer

Expert Member
It's always cute when creationists try to take the scientific high ground.
It is amazing how easily evolutionists are fooled into believing that evolution is true.
Evolution be "scientism".

Cray

Honorary Master
It is amazing how easily evolutionists are fooled into believing that evolution is true.
Indeed.

neoprema

Expert Member
"Does IQ affect ones acceptance of science?"

well, check the IQ of antivaccers and lets see..

Cius

Executive Member
To the original question does IQ affect one's acceptance of science:
I would guess yes but not in every case. Richard Feynman denied the science around brushing one's teeth for years for instance. That being said on average it probably does.

And IQ does not correlate to reduced acceptance of religion so much as education does. And that study found two notable exceptions to that rule (Jews and Mormons).

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Evolution is true look at how bacteria evolves it is observable

The theory of evolution will be proven 100% undeniable when humans have lived on the planet for a couple million years but there is a huge amount of evidence
unlike the things you believe in.

All you have proven is you don't like evolution so you discredit it as scientism proving Daniel Dennet correct.

I'm not sure if IQ effects ones acceptance of Science but I do know indoctrination does.