Does mtn have "MobileNumberPortability" like Vodacom?

Freakboy

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I want to port over from CellC to MTN. I have already downgraded my CellC contract to Pre-Paid and now want to change over in the next couple of days. My question is does MTN have the same option like Vodacom where they sms you a code and you port over your pre-paid number to a Vodacom pre-paid starter pack online? You then phone the Vodacare number and give them the new sim cards details for the port to be completed. Does MTN over the same option for pre-paid to pre-paid?

Also, is it better to port over from pre-paid to MTN pre-paid, and then upgrade the pre-paid to a contract, or would it be better to port from CellC Pre-paid to MTN contract? The reason is will the “upgrade” from MTN pre-paid to contract be seen as a new contract, or only as a normal upgrade. Upgrades usually get sh*ttier deals than new contracts.

I want my number to be taken to MTN from CellC, and get a new contract deal/special and not just a normal upgrade/port.

Any info would be appreciated.

oronte

Expert Member
I don't know about the SMS thing, but going to MTN contract will be as a new customer, but I have never noticed any difference at MTN from upgrade to new customer deals - everyone gets the same deals at MTN (and my brother and I have done quite a few upgrades with MTN, all the same deals everytime).

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I took out a MTN contract and ported my vodacom number and it works fine. I just had to pay for the sim card in the store and they did the rest

Freakboy

Expert Member
Thanx for the info guys.

I just saw at the shops that you can get a MTN starter pack for R0.99. On the box it says "Wan't to keep your old number? Get your Free Sim Swap inside". Can I use this starter pack to port my Cell C number to MTN and then upgrade the pre-paid to contract without having to pay again for a sim card?
Or do I have to pay for a new sim when singing up for the port/contract with MTN?

oronte

Expert Member
I don't think you'll have to buy a new Sim. Sounds like you've got quite an interesting pack.

wikus

Nah. There's no way you can port to MTN via SMS or a call centre. Just called their MTN-we-can't-help-you-with-porting-call-centre on 0831237667.

I just don't understand why a company would make such a deliberate decision to waste human resources when it can all be done electronically without hassle.

Guess they just want to port contract users and don't give a damn for prepaid suckers.
If this is their attitude, they sure as hell are not gonna get my business!!

wikus

Thanx for the info guys.

I just saw at the shops that you can get a MTN starter pack for R0.99. On the box it says "Wan't to keep your old number? Get your Free Sim Swap inside". Can I use this starter pack to port my Cell C number to MTN and then upgrade the pre-paid to contract without having to pay again for a sim card?
Or do I have to pay for a new sim when singing up for the port/contract with MTN?
Doubt they will be as creative when they can't even let people conveniently port to their network.
Must be a mix-up.