Does Nkosana Makate deserve R29-billion?

Does Nkosana Makate deserve R29-billion?

• Yes

Votes: 52 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 264 79.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.8%

• Total voters
if that family member dies and leaves you Million Rand in their will. Perhaps give 90% of it to the poor?
as if the poor deserve it?!? just because one comes into some undeserved money it doesn't mean you have any obligation to pass it on to equally undeserving recipients

by all means, if Makate gets the money and makes out like a bandit then more power to him, I hope he enjoys every cent of it, he still doesn't deserve it, nobody does

That annual bonus which is double your salary... perhaps have 80% of it paid to investors of the company?
they are more than welcome to the f-all bonus I've been paid for the past two years, hope they don't spend it all at once!

If
Honestly, there could be any number of reasons, probably related to most people not fully knowing all aspects of the case and it seeming like such a massive number. I myself voted other but having gone into the facts a bit more I think he deserves some level of compensation, perhaps just not R29 Billion.

It does seem like a stupid amount of money, but if he was promised a share of revenue then he should get what was promised to him
I do agree with this

And I wonder how many of the ‘no’ would actually agree with that

amount yes , as with every please call me , vodacom made money on that. So he deserves a percentage for each message that gets sent,

Why? The courts now ordered Billions in payments instead. He will get a lot more than 47 bar in compensation.
Vodacom will drag this out until this oke is in the ground.

Vodacom will drag this out until this oke is in the ground.

VC has two problems. They already tried this. One is that the attorneys are probably working pro-bono. Secondly, he has a bunch load of financial backers that do not have problems with dishing out tens of millions of Rands. This will turn out problematic for VC, because the longer they drag this out, the more the compensation will increase too.

I was just reading this :

Makate's legal team had initially demanded R20 billion to compensate him for his idea, based on a calculation that the Please Call Me product had generated R205 billion in revenue since its implementation

Obviously PCM ramped up and took a few years to catch on - but based on this, Makate is saying about R5bn reveune per year & this can be traced fullt back to him?

Just imagine for a second.... the roles are reversed. You come up with an idea not implemented at your company and a senior staff member likes it so much he tells you that you will get x% of all income generated, which amounts to tens of millions of Rands a month - irrelevant of what your employment contract states with the company.

Your company then creates the idea and implement it and they start generating millions every month. What would you say or feel when the company turns around and say that the money is too much for you, they will keep it for the company and investors and instead give you a R10k bonus?

Would you not fight for the money they promised you?

The world must be coming to an end soon :eek:o_O . I actually agree with rvZA about something.

I feel dirty. :X3:

amount yes , as with every please call me , vodacom made money on that. So he deserves a percentage for each message that gets sent,
How did Vodacom make money out of every please call me?

I for one never called anybody that sent me a please call me. Just out of principle.

How did Vodacom make money out of every please call me?

I for one never called anybody that sent me a please call me. Just out of principle.

I do not think anyone here can answer that, but I do remember ads. That alone could amount to hundreds of millions, if not billions. Because you did not call back does not mean hundreds of millions of calls was not made.

Then again, VC admitted to making billions.

So he has the evidence that someone who lacked the authority to agree to compensation an any way, shape or form, agreed to the compensation?

Scenario: I'm buddies with a director. He agrees to a revenue-share agreement with myself, a administrative office worker. I sue the company into liquidation, walk out with their liquidated worth in my bank account and a huge smile. The director gets half of course, under the table...

What?
I have not been to the court hearings or paid much attention to it, but from everything I've seen he's had more than enough evidence that someone with authority right up to executive management approved of the agreement made.

If he didn't this would never gotten as far as it has.

Even if not the case that makes it even more of a landmark judgement as going forward mid management will be held accountable and therefore would need to have contract exclusions/inclusions added for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
They are approaching this case emotionally, rather than rationally.
The full 80% ?

Whew - I think maybe the 20% are doing that?

How many people are rooting for him because they hate Vodacom?
EFF are supporting him because of political issues?
And there appear to be a number supporting because of race as well?

I for the life of me cannot understand how VC can calculated the profit they made with the PCM system.
This how I see it
A vodacom customer sends a PCM to a number of which the cost is covered by vodacom so no income is generated. The PCM could be to any one of the cell providers but if it so happened to be to another vodacom subscriber and that subscriber react to the PCM only then income would be generated and the amount would depend on the length of the call. Any PCM's send to other than VC number would result in a loss to VC. In the more than 30 years that I have had my Vodacom contract I have only received PCM's from MTN numbers and all but one was from unknown numbers which I ignored.

PCM had adverts on them, which was a source of revenue.
PCM to Vodacom numbers which resulted in call-backs had the revenue from the call itself.
PCM to other networks which resulted in call-backs had the interchange revenue from the other network for the call.

Back