Does the average South African even understand the concept of Democracy?

Bobbin

Executive Member
What do you mean by "relativity is absolute"?
If relativity is apparent throughout reality then perhaps it qualifies as an absolute law of nature. In other words relativity would be strictly universal itself. It's a bit of a mind twist though.

However I will say that I can't fit the concept of subjectivity without relativity. :)

saturnz

Honorary Master
If relativity is apparent throughout reality then perhaps it qualifies as an absolute law of nature. In other words relativity would be strictly universal itself. It's a bit of a mind twist though.

However I will say that I can't fit the concept of subjectivity without relativity. :)
relatively is not apparent throughout reality though, the speed of light is absolute

Ponderer

Expert Member

To say that "relativity is absolute" is not unlike saying "true is false".
This "profound insight" is just another one of your brain-farts.

creeper

Executive Member
The question should be rather, does the average South African have a good frame of reference to understand democracy?

And in my experience, the answer is no. I realized this when we took our domestic worker along to the Western Cape from Gauteng these holidays. We always promised we will show her the ocean. Firstly, she has never been further than Limpopo. We had to explain we are traveling through the Free State, Eastern Cape etc. To her, it was something new. Also, she believed that the ocean is just one big lake. I had to show a map of the world to show her how big it is.

Then you need to ask, if a person that stays in a country doesn’t even have the knowledge of their own country, how can they understand how democracy work? Also, they are more susceptible to manipulation has they don’t know any better. They will easier believe what is said to them because they don’t have to knowledge to challenge it.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the education, may it be the previous apartheid or the new education system, has failed the common South African.

Bobbin

Executive Member
relatively is not apparent throughout reality though, the speed of light is absolute
Well, apparently it's the speed of causality, not light. Although causality is being shown to be a bit twisted in the quantum world, i.e. effect comes before cause sometimes (Did they consider their own relative position??) - so I'm not sure what this would mean or imply if true though.

Anyway it's just a random layman musing of mine :) I don't think I have the IQ or knowledge to evaluate or take it any further.

Bobbin

Executive Member
To say that "relativity is absolute" is not unlike saying "true is false".
This "profound insight" is just another one of your brain-farts.
That's why I said it is a mind twist, not so? If you are trying to justify a perfectly rational universe you need to think twice about your own position though, miracles and all.

Ponderer

Expert Member
The hell is your problem?
How is your "thought experiment" (ship with 100 people) coming along?
What is it you tried to say about democracy with/using the "ship with 100 people" thing?

Last edited:

Ponderer

Expert Member
yeah comparing a boat to a country is such a fruitful discussion...
The boat = country comparison is not the issue.
The issue be what the poster tried to say about democracy with/using the "ship with 100 people" thing.

rambo919

Executive Member
Therefore, my conclusion is that the education, may it be the previous apartheid or the new education system, has failed the common South African.
Apartheid tried to get them better educated, their glorious leaders refused to let it happen and started burning schools and books..... the trend never really reversed and the new system was set up to indoctrinate rather than educate.... it's hardly rocket science that it churns out idiots.

Funny thing is the previous system was also setup with indoctrination just less of it. The problem with it is it prepared people for an economic system that dissapeared which is partly why so many became unemployed overnight.... they never learnt independence from the state/corporate machine of the day.

saturnz

Honorary Master
The boat = country comparison is not the issue.
The issue be what the poster tried to say about democracy with/using the "ship with 100 people" thing.
the boat is an issue, democracies do not operate in isolation, people come into the country, they leave the country, meaning there are other boats also floating around

and when we take those 100 people, are they original "boatanians"- meaning have they always been on the boat, are they all the same age? are we to assume they all can participate in this democracy? not everyone can participate in a country democracy, why are we assuming everyone can when its a boat

Last edited: