Dog owner faces R500 fine over barking

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
What bothers me about these responses is that they display a great deal of ignorance and even more intolerance. A dog barks because it is bored. It is probably bored because of a lack of suitable stimulation and toys etc being provided. However, it is difficult to ensure that a dog has sufficient things to do when it must stay outside (cos it has to pee and poop) while the owner is at work. So a little tolerance and forbearance for the situation is needed.

If there is a problem dog in your neighbourhood is it too much to ask that you give a thought for the well-being of the dog? Take a look over the fence and make sure it is OK i.e. that there is food, water, shelter, not on a chain, not on a few square feet of concrete with nowhere to lie comfortably etc. If there is any cause for concern CALL the SPCA or other animal welfare organisation to come check on the dog. Talk to the neighbour (if possible), but a great deal can be solved IF you have the welfare of the DOG at heart.

All I'm reading here is an utter disregard for the poor dog.

rakabos3

Executive Member
What bothers me about these responses is that they display a great deal of ignorance and even more intolerance. A dog barks because it is bored. It is probably bored because of a lack of suitable stimulation and toys etc being provided. However, it is difficult to ensure that a dog has sufficient things to do when it must stay outside (cos it has to pee and poop) while the owner is at work. So a little tolerance and forbearance for the situation is needed.

If there is a problem dog in your neighbourhood is it too much to ask that you give a thought for the well-being of the dog? Take a look over the fence and make sure it is OK i.e. that there is food, water, shelter, not on a chain, not on a few square feet of concrete with nowhere to lie comfortably etc. If there is any cause for concern CALL the SPCA or other animal welfare organisation to come check on the dog. Talk to the neighbour (if possible), but a great deal can be solved IF you have the welfare of the DOG at heart.

All I'm reading here is an utter disregard for the poor dog.
Yappers fking yap. Poor dog? Really

Solarion

Honorary Master
Still requires court orders and such.. Because you've seen it happen does not mean it happened legally.. Trustees do not have the right to force ably remove a pet, period.
It does. I still need to pop in to the cop shop on Monday and file a complaint.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It does. I still need to pop in to the cop shop on Monday and file a complaint.
Precisely that.. You have to go through the processes and get the complaints laid with the cops and even get court orders.. The bc can't just decide on its own to get rid of a pet..

Solarion

Honorary Master
Precisely that.. You have to go through the processes and get the complaints laid with the cops and even get court orders.. The bc can't just decide on its own to get rid of a pet..
I agree I mean I can't seem them going around at midnight with torches banging on the guys door to hand over the witch, but they can put pressure on the owners themselves; ultimatums and such. Anyway I'm in danger of always wanting to have the last say/post here, but I do agree with you.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I agree I mean I can't seem them going around at midnight with torches banging on the guys door to hand over the witch, but they can put pressure on the owners themselves; ultimatums and such. Anyway I'm in danger of always wanting to have the last say/post here, but I do agree with you.
Lol... Can I have the last say then?

Nod

Executive Member
My dogs used to break out, play with the kids in the park and then run home when I got back from work.

Also had complaints of too much barking, so told the BC I will ask my dogs to stop when other people start to keep their cats indoors.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Guys stop using BC. Any owner of a unit within the complex is a on the body corporate. Trustees are appointed by the BC, they also have no real authority except what is given to them by the body corporate.

Knyro

Honorary Master
My dogs used to break out, play with the kids in the park and then run home when I got back from work.

Also had complaints of too much barking, so told the BC I will ask my dogs to stop when other people start to keep their cats indoors.
I feel sorry for the poor bastards that live next to this guy.

Good, considerate neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

Nod

Executive Member
I feel sorry for the poor bastards that live next to this guy.

Good, considerate neighbours are worth their weight in gold.
The gate was fixed. Garden services weakened the sliding lock which gave the dogs a chance to push it open.

The neighbour who complained, 1 neighbour, just had a baby and was lacking some sleep. My other neighbours had no issue with the dogs. I asked.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The gate was fixed. Garden services weakened the sliding lock which gave the dogs a chance to push it open.

The neighbour who complained, 1 neighbour, just had a baby and was lacking some sleep. My other neighbours had no issue with the dogs. I asked.
Maybe they were just avoiding conflict.

Nod

Executive Member
Maybe they were just avoiding conflict.
No, we were good friends. They would tell me if the dogs were trouble.

The cats in the estate were always walking on the walls. I don't know a lot of dogs would let that go without barking.

Corelli

First of all the dog must be barking 7 minutes constantly without breathing, that's actually what the law says.

We had it with our dog when I was there. What happened the neighbor built a ramp for his maltese to climb up against my wall, then it will sit on top of a 1.8m tall wall and look down at my dog and then yap at mine, but mine barked louder.

But seriously the other neighbor to the other side of us' gf was shouting on top of her lungs at every rugby match swearing, etc. it was way worse. We ended up stopping watching rugby, because we could follow it based on the swear words.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
First of all the dog must be barking 7 minutes constantly without breathing, that's actually what the law says.

We had it with our dog when I was there. What happened the neighbor built a ramp for his maltese to climb up against my wall, then it will sit on top of a 1.8m tall wall and look down at my dog and then yap at mine, but mine barked louder.

But seriously the other neighbor to the other side of us' gf was shouting on top of her lungs at every rugby match swearing, etc. it was way worse. We ended up stopping watching rugby, because we could follow it based on the swear words.
A hosepipe would've resolved the issue.