- Apr 4, 2014
See hidden discussions | Win great prizes | Get free support
The fact that after 18 months, millions spent on marketing and now supposedly changing the rules without a single prosecution attempt so far would indicate to me that they're worried about what will happen when they finally have to stand up in court.
If they're so worried, SANRAL that is, why are they still pursuing the planned e-toll projects for the Cape?
Earlier this month, Outa claimed that the government “continue[d] to thrust an unjust, irrational and unworkable scheme onto the public, by using carrots of hollow discounts and threats of withholding vehicle licences to coerce the public to comply”.
“Selective reading of the Gazette is regrettable,” said Sanral spokeperson Vusi Mona in a statement.
“Their statements are, whether intentionally or mistakenly, based on gross oversights of aspects of the Gazette.”
Sanral said that according to the memorandum on the objectives of the toll tariff notice, “the new dispensation… will be rolled out in phases, which includes the aspects they are alleging we are not honouring”.
He said new and lowered toll tariffs for non-registered and non e-tag users, as well as lowered monthly caps for registered users, would come into effect from July 2.
Sanral was busy testing the operational and software changes to the system.
“The 30 free gantry passes per annum will be announced once the system and administrative requirements have been fulfilled.”