Don’t be fooled by Takealot’s Daily Deals discounts

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Don’t be fooled by Takealot’s Daily Deals discounts

The Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa (ASA) has received numerous complaints about inflated discount promises from online retailers in their “daily deals” promotions.

In April, a complainant said Takealot promoted the Logitech F310-Gamepad for R385 and provided the list price as R511. This equates to a discount of 33%.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Almost none of their specials of any kind are actually specials. They fool you with the strikethrough on the items, but the prices are almost always the same.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
We should have more news of this type- these companies need to be shamed for their shady practises. They need to be too afraid to try and fleece the consumer. Honest business- how hard can it be?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
It still puzzles me that people do not go and do their research on item-prices available. We are in the age of the internet and there are several websites, aside from Google, that will help you find the best deal.

I reckon the complaints against Takealot are more related to people feeling cheated and now expect some sort of recourse. Just shop elsewhere!

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Very devious company. I have complained about numerous issues and these guys just basically ignore you. They wont even take the time to respond, I suspect its because the moment they reply on a mail its admission to guilt. Who knows.....
I have been complaining about their "daily Discounts" or "daily deals" for months. Even today, go and check the "flying globe", the "Daily deal" cost exactly the same as it cost everyday.
There are multiple "unboxed" deals that's more expensive as the "non-unboxed" deals.
And reviews....OMG.....In my life, they have not published 1 single of my "bad review". But go and write a "good" review and it appears at the speed of light.
I normally buy dog food from them for the convenience, I bought 3 packs of that "Monty and Me" essential, 2 bags were rotten. I also bought one of the "Monty and Me" Puppy food to realize there are badly molded pellets in between. One of my dogs died in this period, unfortunately the Vet could not assure me it was the food otherwise I would sue these bastards. I mailed them and till today they have not even apologized for selling me rotten food.

This is 1 company I could not give a single F about and I wish them all the worst.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Have we not said exactly this so many times before?

Will we have to read this over & over again despite having discussed it many times (actually to death) previously?

Already looking forward to next month's Takalot inflating pre-discount prices, like DSTV repeats aren't enough?

If you want to support a dishonest company buy from Takealot, else shut up and take your money elsewhere, but you're like a bunch of housewives discussing who's husband is having affairs with whom feigning shock & horror but nobody's prepared to do something about it.

cobuskruger

I don't understand the point of this article at all.

Suppose you sell the world's most popular nose hair trimmer for cats at R300. One day, you decide to discount it to drum up some excitement, so you sell it at R150. That gives you a 50% discount! Well done on delivering value. Unless (like Pick 'n Pay's Brand Match) you have the price specifically audited against every competitor in the market, it's really daft for someone to scream and shout because one competitor is selling the same product on the same day for R130. That could also be a deal. Or a grey import. Or perhaps, that competitor is always cheaper. That doesn't change the fact that your price is discounted from your normal price.

To do a test that is at all meaningful:
1. Pick ten or so products from their deals on a given day.
2. Compare those prices to the ones the same products are listed at the next day.

I have done that test a few times, and have never found the Takealot discount to be completely out of whack.

As with every other product you buy, do some research if price is important. That's the same as it ever was, only it is now much easier.

MrMag

Who owns Takealot will explain a lot? who else but Naspers (MultiChoice bunch)
No1 priority is screw the public Maximise profit at all cost.

saor

Honorary Master
Suppose you sell the world's most popular nose hair trimmer for cats at R300. One day, you decide to discount it to drum up some excitement, so you sell it at R150. That gives you a 50% discount! Well done on delivering value. Unless (like Pick 'n Pay's Brand Match) you have the price specifically audited against every competitor in the market, it's really daft for someone to scream and shout because one competitor is selling the same product on the same day for R130. That could also be a deal. Or a grey import. Or perhaps, that competitor is always cheaper. That doesn't change the fact that your price is discounted from your normal price.
Takealot is selling the nose trimmers on special for R305 telling you it was R405.