Donald J. Trump: President of the USA Part II Covfefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbeardman

Expert Member
So the solution is to resign ourselves to global catastrophe rather than take any action that might have a chance of preventing it?
Well, I think we should keep looking for a viable solution, but as I just said to Emjay, we have more than one existential threat to worry about.

Did you know that there were civilisation ending meteorite impacts around 12800 years ago and 5500 years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burckle_Crater

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/massive-crater-under-greenland-s-ice-points-climate-altering-impact-time-humans

I say we ignore global warming for now aside from funding research into energy alternatives like hydrothermal power and focus our efforts on getting a space force that can deflect such cosmic impactors from destroying us all. It should be a project the whole world can get behind, and who knows, maybe from there we can build a platform to tackle other global issues.

greg0205

Honorary Master
You realise that Trump changed from a concrete wall to a steel wall on the request of the Democrats, right? :ROFL:
Wait for it... Wait... Wait... Wait... Wait... Okay now...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

*sigh*

No, Emjay. No they didn't.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/jan/09/donald-trump/no-democrats-didnt-ask-steel-wall-donald-trump/

"Democrats never requested this," said Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "This is completely false."
Senate Democratic leader Charles Schumer’s spokesman echoed that.

"We’ve always said the funds must be restricted to existing border technology," said spokesman Justin Goodman. "That’s what all the bills we’ve passed said."
Our ruling

Trump said, "At the request of Democrats, it will be a steel barrier rather than a concrete wall."

There is no evidence that Democrats asked for a steel barrier. Democratic leadership affirmed there has been no request for a steel barrier. Democrats have been pushing for other forms to secure the border, including the reinforcement of existing physical barriers, but have made no concessions on Trump’s border wall proposals.

We rate this statement False.

rietrot

Honorary Master
That's not what they said. For a target of 1.5C...

If by 2030 (12 years in the future), emissions haven't been cut by 45%, the target will not be met. You can't start implementing projects 12 years down the line and hope that they will work. The window of action is frighteningly narrow.
If it was really as bad as they claim nobody should give a shît about the world GDP and fucus all/any resources soully at combating climate change. We should basically just destroy everything that burns oil or coal tomorrow.

All these idiots that fearmonger climate change and want green plans are a bunch of hypocrites.

greg0205

Honorary Master
For folk who enjoy old television series and have 23 minutes to kill, please enjoy this full episode of the fifties show, Trackdown. The episode, S01E30, aired in 1958 and is titled "The End of the World"

A brief synopsis for those that might need persuasion: a snake oil salesman named "Trump” claims he is the only one who can prevent the end of the world by building a wall around the town.
Robert Culp plays the lead character, Holby Gilman, while Lawrence Dobkin plays Trump.

You're welcome.

EDIT: Highlights include:
Trump: I am the only one. Trust me. I can build a wall around your homes that nothing will penetrate.

Townperson: What do we do? How can we save ourselves?

Trump: You ask how do you build that wall. You ask, and I’m here to tell you.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Consistent where?
The only consistency we find is the one legally adopted.
Expert arguments about semantics aside, it isn't that complicated, if you dislike someone (or a group of someones) and the colour of their skin comes into any statements you make about them ... then you are racist. Full stop.

surface

Executive Member
Expert arguments about semantics aside, it isn't that complicated, if you dislike someone (or a group of someones) and the colour of their skin comes into any statements you make about them ... then you are racist. Full stop.
It is not really that open anymore except BLF & EFF; subtlety is the flavour. for example 'being asked to write essay in afrikaans for hostel entry' - language is the new race for the racists. That is local example but I am sure in USA, there are different coatings employed by racists.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Plan is decent imo but those time lines are ridiculous. How often do we see these big budget projects takes years longer and go way over budget?
That's part of why the 'New Deal' part is used as inspiration and context.

Look what they achieved in less than 10 years with the New Deal. Hell, look what they did in the first 100 days!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Deal

Yeah it's also unfair to compare it with Wall funding. The Wall costs peanuts in comparison and is about illegal immigration while the other about sustainability.
The 'wall', while being ineffective and stupid, would also be a massive contributor to environmental destruction for native flora & fauna, while contributing a massive amount of CO2 emissions. Bad, bad, bad.

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Why couldn't the Dems just come out with a plan that's not so radical that everyone can get behind and one that has some solid plan to it? Yeah. That seems to be asking a lot.
You can't possibly be ignorant of Obama's many attempts to get some traction on addressing climate change, which were always blocked by Republicans. It's very disingenuous to complain that the GND is so radical and why couldn't they just scale it back a bit in that context. We've had years and years of attempts at less radical things!

Emjay said:
I do have a lot of disposable time. I have made a conscious decision to use it for other pursuits.
This is generally a good idea, I think.

Emjay said:
If you cannot see the irony or humour in it, then you are not the target audience.
I mean, I get the humour, but in the context of Republicans in the Senate blocking Obama's request of $1bn to tackle the Zika virus, and $2bn for the opioid epidemic, as 'wasteful spending'...?

Plus, the GND is an attempt at addressing an actual global crisis, not an attempt to fund a vanity project for an imaginary one.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Also, it's a huge economic opportunity.

https://newclimateeconomy.report/2018/

According to a report by the New Climate Economy, if we make the right choices over the next 2-3 years we could unlock benefits worth $26 trillion from here to 2030, create 65 million new low-carbon jobs, and avoid over 700,000 premature deaths from air pollution.

The report points out that we have a planetary window of opportunity created by other transitions taking place, such as urbanization and automation, that need to be managed in any case and could be managed with a low-carbon approach. We should make the shift in 5 key economic systems: energy, cities, food and land use, water and industry.
Hell, ending the gigantic subsidies to fossil fuels around the world would also make a big difference.

And it's already a huge employment base.

Solar Employs More People In U.S. Electricity Generation Than Oil, Coal And Gas Combined

Status
Not open for further replies.