Donald J. Trump: President of the USA Part II Covfefe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gist of it is that the US Constitution doesn’t contain any national emergency provision that would allow Trump to spend money on the wall which as not been allocated by Congress. And it does not look like wall funding will be granted by Congress either.
He can repurpose funds already allocated by congress, though, which means he can just redirect some of that insanely huge military budget to get the wall built.

Also, it's really a stretch and, IMO, does not fall within the spirit of such declaration, nor would it conform to the definition of an emergency. It would be a very ambitious overreach of power. No matter how much we support someone, we shouldn't be happy with the idea of any government reaching for so much power and getting away with it.
https://www.bustle.com/p/did-obama-...snt-above-using-one-to-fund-his-wall-15722252

It seems to be actually a reasonably routine thing the presidents do. And you know, I actually like the idea of the US military budget being used to nation-build the United States of America for a change.

Alternatively, if Trump is feeling trollish he could take the money from the California FEMA money. :ROFL:

greg0205

Honorary Master
I love how this is panning out. Democrats trying to block Trump's wall. The Government institutions shut down as they can't agree. Dems crying and want Trump to pay these workers because of the Shutdown caused by the Democrats. Trump refuses. Democrats are looking the fool more and more. Best of it all, Trump will still get the wall as he can just declare a State of Emergency and use Army funds to fund the wall, or at least part of it.

Democrats are getting schooled HARD :D
No problemo, just declare a state of emergency when there is clearly no emergency at the border and siphon billions of dollars from the army so that you don't look like a total ******* in front of your constituents.
Let him do it cerebus, let him take Texas hurricane disaster money *and then* come for Texas land with eminent domain... Beto pushed Ted in the midterms, see how the general plays out with tRump fighting Texans on land and relief.
Replicate the fight in Florida with Floridians *and* Puerto Ricans having relief funds stripped and Kevin McCarthy and Devin Nunez should retire now from Cali while they're at it.

Spades won't hit dirt for a year, if at all.... but... the reason I quoted Pitbull...

Ola Pitbull. I've been waiting for two days for someone to post what you just did as an opportunity to quote my man, Rick Wilson on how this plays out if you're thinking ahead, and not just trying to hijack the news cycle from Nancy and Mueller... I'mma unroll the Twitter thread for ya. You're welcome.

A whole bunch of formerly conservative -- now Trumpist -- think tanks better get ready to pull down all their articles opposing eminent domain seizures.

While they're at it, they might want to scrub all the policies about Obama' untrammeled abuse of executive power.

Also, let's skip that whole "rule of law" question from now on, ok? The new standard of "conservatism" is being set tonight, and since Washington's Vichy GOP policy establishment dropped their petticoats to keep the Trumpists happy, they might as well go all the way.

A phony crisis to pretend to build a vaporware wall is totes worth it, though! After all, precedents NEVER stick, right? The key lesson of Trumpism a Cartmanesque gunt of "Ah do what ah wannnnt!" So when there's a Democratic president, y'all just sit down and color.

Since the Tucker-Hannity Dental Purity brigade is heavily in my TL, I'll give you a counterfactual scenario. (Google it, Trumpist dolts)

It's January 2021. Donald Trump choked on a KFC chicken bone or died in an autoerotic asphyxiation game gone wrong. Doesn't matter how. For this scenario, we have a shiny new Democratic President. Call her, just for the sake of argument, Kamala Warren.

She sweeps into the Oval Office and asks for a national TV address to declare a state of emergency. "My fellow Americans: the crisis of climate change can no longer be ignored, and Congress will not act fast enough."

"Powerful forces are at work, and by any standard this crisis is an emergency, so following the precedent set by President Trump, I am today declaring the following actions. First, the Federal government will immediately seize certain oil and natural gas facilities and lands.

"All refining facilities will be closed. Oil and natural gas lands will be repurposed for solar and wind power only, and we will offer job retraining for their owners. The Federal government will control these lands in perpetuity to prevent additional damage to the climate. "

"This is a hard step, and we do not take it lightly, by as President Trump seized hundreds of thousands of acres of land under eminent domain, we have followed his precedent to the letter, because the climate emergency demands it."

"To prevent any illegal drilling, I am ordering the U.S. military to build appropriate walls, fences, minefields, and other security structures around these lands and facilities. Walls work, in the words of President Trump, and this emergency demands them."

"We will also take Federal action to end the lawless behavior of Carbon Sanctuary States. Because of this emergency, Federal power must Trump (hehe) the rights of the states. It's an *emergency*. Carbon Sanctuary States endanger us all, and they must be brought to heel."

See how this goes? I could go on, and on, and on, but once you open these doors, other people will walk through them. Other people will use powers of the executive in ways you *really* won't like. But it's ok. There will never be a Dem President again, right?

EDIT: I'll let you imagine your own Kamala Warren speech for healthcare or gun violence, mmkay?

Last edited:

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
You quote something almost 3 years old? Things have changed. More than one way to skin a cat.
Its funny how Trumpets were dumb enough to think this will work at any point any time, good luck to Trumpets and their cat skinning though, im sure this new idea will definitely work :ROFL:

surface

Expert Member
After next years' election we'll have another 4 years of this I guess. Crying...
I really thought you were not Trump supporter but I must be confused with someone else. Unless if it is because of Trump's support for white farmers and race consolidation - then I perfectly understand your viewpoint.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Lisa Murkowski is on the Senate floor calling for government to be opened. Not in the hallways, not in her office... At the podium, on the floor.

tre45on was on the Hill on Tuesday to try to give Republicans his "stick together" song-and-dance. Guess that worked fine... 'till now.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Lisa Murkowski is on the Senate floor calling for government to be opened. Not in the hallways, not in her office... At the podium, on the floor.

tre45on was on the Hill on Tuesday to try to give Republicans his "stick together" song-and-dance. Guess that worked fine... 'till now.
She's trying to introduce a bill that would prevent shutdowns permanently

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/M...e-End-Government-Shutdowns-Act-504218081.html

The bill, called the End Government Shutdowns Act, was introduced Friday by U.S. Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Rob Portman (R-OH), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Steve Daines (R-MT), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Enzi (R-WY), John Barrasso (R-WY), Jim Risch (R-ID), and Mike Lee (R-UT).

According to them, the bill will "permanently prevent the federal government from shutting down, ensuring that essential government services aren’t disrupted and protecting taxpayers who must bear the resulting cost."

Seems like a huge rebuke of Trump.

greg0205

Honorary Master
I have to post this, because this is a tech forum, and we are who we are...

Fair warning, it's an AOC tweet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏
Following @AOC

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Cristobal Alex

To quote Alan Moore: “None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with YOU. You're locked up in here with ME.”

6:17 PM - 11 Jan 2019

Yep, the US Representative from NY's 14th just quoted Alan Moore from Watchmen.

Liberal comic fans like me, feel free to swoon. Conservative comic fans, call your therapist.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Import taxes are also a means of funding. You are aware of that right? Wait, you libtards expected Mexico to hand over cold hard cash? :D
Trump wrote everyone a memo declaring they will.
And since he's just the best negotiator, we're waiting for them to.

Those frikkin libtards thought he was full of schit. He's showing them alright!

theratman

Executive Member
I have to post this, because this is a tech forum, and we are who we are...

Fair warning, it's an AOC tweet.

Yep, the US Representative from NY's 14th just quoted Alan Moore from Watchmen.

Liberal comic fans like me, feel free to swoon. Conservative comic fans, call your therapist.
Liberal comic fans, there's a new one What's next, LCF labels being thrown about?

Status
Not open for further replies.