Donald J. Trump: President of the USA Part III Covfefe

konfab

Honorary Master
Up is down, hot is cold, and on, and on, and on...
Businesses have good times and bad. That is the reality.

Right now, if you looked at Lego (which is now the world's largest toy company by revenue), you wouldn't think that in the early 2000s it was at risk of going bankrupt.

The NYT is painting a very incomplete picture by putting a cutoff point in 1995 and not explaining anything from then until now. You know, because they are only interested in the truth and certainly don't have any political agenda.

greg0205

Honorary Master

Right now, if you looked at Lego (which is now the world's largest toy company by revenue), you wouldn't think that in the early 2000s it was at risk of going bankrupt.

The NYT is painting a very incomplete picture by putting a cutoff point in 1995 and not explaining anything from then until now. You know, because they are only interested in the truth and certainly don't have any political agenda.
Indeed. 1995 is nearly ten years before Donnie got $177M for selling off Frank’s empire in a fire sale, and then magically had $400M in cash to start buying properties two years later...

This is a bad look for Don, and when the rest of his taxes become available, it’s going to be the most benign part of the story.

konfab

Honorary Master
Indeed. 1995 is nearly ten years before Donnie got $177M for selling off Frank’s empire in a fire sale, and then magically had $400M in cash to start buying properties two years later...

This is a bad look for Don, and when the rest of his taxes become available, it’s going to be the most benign part of the story.
So do you think Trump was bankrupt when he decided to run in 2015?

greg0205

Honorary Master
So do you think Trump was bankrupt when he decided to run in 2015?
Nope. He’d been laundering Russian money for the best part of a decade by then.

It’s not that Russia bought leverage in 2016, it’s that they’d had the leverage in the late 00’s already.

Emjay

Executive Member

It’s not that Russia bought leverage in 2016, it’s that they’d had the leverage in the late 00’s already.
And a 2 year, USD30 million investigation could not uncover this? He must be a genius.

konfab

Honorary Master

Trump should have invested in tinfoil before the election, would have made a killing.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Up is down, hot is cold, and on, and on, and on...
There's really only three possible scenarios where Trump could have lost that much money consistently on the tax records:

1) All his businesses failed at obscene rates and he is one of the worst businessmen who ever lived, considering that he inherited around $413 million from his father.
2) He was committing tax fraud and misvaluing his portfolio.
3) A mix of the above

There are also some really questionable amounts like a certain $50 million interest credit that have no explanation.

It's almost impossible to see how Trump could have not been committing rampant tax evasion.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master

Do they have access to his documents since 1995? Trump has been desperate to keep any financial documents under wraps.

And a 2 year, USD30 million investigation could not uncover this? He must be a genius.
If the investigation had looked into his finances, it would have gone well beyond its legitimate scope. There's nothing in the report to suggest that they did look at his finances. Hopefully Mueller can clear that up on the 15th.

Techne

Honorary Master
Well the US have just despatched an aircraft carrier to the region and a bomber wing, because of direct threats against the US interests in the region by Iran.
How credible is that threat? It was reported by Mossad and they have a vested interest in getting the US involved.

konfab

Honorary Master
Do they have access to his documents since 1995? Trump has been desperate to keep any financial documents under wraps.
Why don't you put your household expenditure and income here for everyone to gaze over.

Trump likely avoided a whole bunch of tax because of the losses in his business. Legally, he was allowed to do this otherwise the IRS would have thrown him in prison. The IRS, does not screw around.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Why don't you put your household expenditure and income here for everyone to gaze over.
I would be happy to do that if I was the president. Bernie just did it. Do you think Trump should be able to get away with not disclosing his financial records? Literally his only credential to be president is his putative business acumen.

Trump likely avoided a whole bunch of tax because of the losses in his business. Legally, he was allowed to do this otherwise the IRS would have thrown him in prison. The IRS, does not screw around.
Sure, so let's assume his businesses were just an unmitigated disaster and he really did lose $1.2billion over 10 years, culminating in a fire sale of his father's assets. I wouldn't want such a person managing a McDonald's.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Lol, I wondered where the Russian conspiracy was heading. This is going to be entertaining.

konfab

Honorary Master
Do you think Trump should be able to get away with not disclosing his financial records?
I don't really care either way. If there is a law that requires him to do it, then fine. If there isn't, then Trump can keep his records private.

Sure, so let's assume his businesses were just an unmitigated disaster and he really did lose billion over 10 years, culminating in a fire sale of his father's assets. I wouldn't want such a person managing a McDonald's.
And you are looking at a tiny snapshot in history that is 20 years old and using that to make him out to be a failure. Yet you want to judge the Orange One on his business acumen?

Unless if you are engaging in conspiracy theories, the improvement in his financial position was due to him facing reality and making business decisions based on that.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I don't really care either way. If there is a law that requires him to do it, then fine. If there isn't, then Trump can keep his records private.
There is a law that requires him to do it at the request of Congress. Maybe you haven't been following on that?

And you are looking at a tiny snapshot in history that is 20 years old and using that to make him out to be a failure. Yet you want to judge the Orange One on his business acumen?
By a tiny snapshot, you mean a span of 10 years during which he lost $1.2 billion? Well, if I had access to more information I'd be happy to look at it. What I'm unwilling to do is take Trump at his word, and it's appalling that you are.

Unless if you are engaging in conspiracy theories, the improvement in his financial position was due to him facing reality and making business decisions based on that.
You know you could be right. just the other day I faced reality, and $400 million magicked itself into my bank account.

konfab

Honorary Master
There is a law that requires him to do it at the request of Congress. Maybe you haven't been following on that?
You are wrong.

Trump is not required by law to publicly release his tax records. The law only states that he has to release them to congress (though whether they would be allowed to release them publically is debatable IMO).

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
I don't really care
This right here sums up how all criticism of Trump is ever going to go down with his supporters.

Trump potentially defying constitution - "I don't really care"
Trump potentially obstructing congressional oversight - "I don't really care"
Trump lies about everything - "I don't really care"
Trump enabling Russia to increase their influence and power in the world - "I don't really care"
Trump puts troops at risk through tweets - "I don't really care"
Trump isn't good a business - "I don't really care"
Trump doesn't have good Christian values - "I don't really care"
Trump can't string a coherent sentence together - "I don't really care"
etc
Trump does anything wrong - "I don't really care"

konfab

Honorary Master
By a tiny snapshot, you mean a span of 10 years during which he lost $1.2 billion? Well, if I had access to more information I'd be happy to look at it. What I'm unwilling to do is take Trump at his word, and it's appalling that you are.
If Trump was bankrupt, he would have closed up shop.

buka001

Expert Member
How credible is that threat? It was reported by Mossad and they have a vested interest in getting the US involved.
Oh it is all BS, the threat. It is Bolton wanting to play war games.

On the 26th of March, the Pentagon stated that there was nothing significant of concern in Iran.

After the invasion of Venezuela became a non-event, following Trump and Putins meeting, Bolton jumped on the next bogeyman.