Donald J. Trump: President of the USA Part III Covfefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerebus

Honorary Master
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/13/fec-election-foreign-trump-1364598

‘Let me make something 100% clear’: FEC chair lays down the law on foreign help

The head of the Federal Election Commission released a statement on Thursday evening reiterating, emphatically, that foreign assistance is illegal in U.S. elections.

“Let me make something 100% clear to the American public and anyone running for public office: It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election,“ wrote Ellen Weintraub, chairwoman of the FEC. “This is not a novel concept.“

She also sent the statement via Twitter with the introductory line: “I would not have thought that I needed to say this.“

Emjay

Executive Member
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/13/fec-election-foreign-trump-1364598

‘Let me make something 100% clear’: FEC chair lays down the law on foreign help

The head of the Federal Election Commission released a statement on Thursday evening reiterating, emphatically, that foreign assistance is illegal in U.S. elections.

“Let me make something 100% clear to the American public and anyone running for public office: It is illegal for any person to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with a U.S. election,“ wrote Ellen Weintraub, chairwoman of the FEC. “This is not a novel concept.“

She also sent the statement via Twitter with the introductory line: “I would not have thought that I needed to say this.“
Someone should tag Hillary Clinton and her team.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Someone should tag Hillary Clinton and her team.
No, they shouldn't. It's two completely different things. The Steele Dossier was legitimate opposition research:

https://news.yahoo.com/what-is-the-steele-dossier-republicans-are-using-to-defend-trumps-opporesearch-comments-191857892.html

For one, Steele was working for a U.S. company and not a foreign government. During the 2016 presidential primary, Fusion GPS, a Washington, D.C.-based research firm, was hired by the conservative outlet Washington Free Beacon to do opposition research on Trump on behalf of a Republican opposed to the businessman’s candidacy. When the Beacon pulled out of the deal, Fusion approached Perkins Coie, a law firm representing the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s campaign, and asked if it would like to fund it. In April 2016, the firm agreed and Fusion continued its work, hiring Steele to investigate potential ties between Trump and the Russian government.

For another thing, the Steele dossier was not meant to be made public. According to the Washington Post, the FBI — which had previously hired Steele to research corruption in professional soccer — had reached an agreement shortly before the election to pay him to continue his work on Trump. But the bureau ultimately did not pay Steele, and the dossier leaked online shortly before Trump’s inauguration.
That's the reason Trump et al haven't actually tried to lock her up for breaking the law; you think they wouldn't jump at the chance to throw her in jail for campaign surveillance abuses?

Emjay

Executive Member
No, they shouldn't. It's two completely different things. The Steele Dossier was legitimate opposition research:

https://news.yahoo.com/what-is-the-steele-dossier-republicans-are-using-to-defend-trumps-opporesearch-comments-191857892.html

That's the reason Trump et al haven't actually tried to lock her up for breaking the law; you think they wouldn't jump at the chance to throw her in jail for campaign surveillance abuses?
It's ok that Hillary did it, because she is not in jail? Alright then. She paid a foreign asset (who used to be a spy) for information to discredit Trump. So that's not an issue because he was employed by a US company? We don't know when the relationship started, but I am sure a lot more will come to light in a few months. Remember that the docs leading up to the FISA application hearing has been declassified? Those still have to drop. Yeah, maybe it's not criminal. But it's dodgy as all hell.

Maybe you should go listen to Trump's words, don't you think? He said he would listen to a foreigner with info a political rival, and report it to the FBI. There is a clear difference here. If Trump went looking for it, and then offered some sort of quid pro quo, that would be criminal. If he was presented the info and sent it to the FBI (and used it), that would be morally bad, but is not criminal. There is a lot of nuance there. Of course the media would run with the narrative that they had. Who wouldn't? Anything to keep that outrage going.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
It's ok that Hillary did it, because she is not in jail? Alright then. She paid a foreign asset for information to discredit Trump. We don't know when the relationship started, but I am sure a lot more will come to light in a few months. Remember that the docs leading up to the FISA application hearing has been declassified?
Wake me up when there's any real news on this conspiracy theory, k? Soliciting opposition research from private firms is not illegal. Receiving information from a foreign government to discredit a political opponent is not legitimate opposition research.

Maybe you should go listen to Trump's words, don't you think? He said he would listen to a foreigner with info a political rival, and report it to the FBI. There is a clear difference here. If Trump went looking for it, and then offered some sort of quid pro quo, that would be criminal. If he was presented the info and sent it to the FBI (and used it), that would be morally bad, but is not criminal.
Firstly he said he would never call the FBI, nobody ever calls the FBI, he's never called the FBI in his life. And he said that he disagreed with the FBI director that it would be illegal to receive information from a foreign government. Then he said um well maybe he would call the FBI if he thought there was something wrong, and also maybe he would just use the information. And in his opinion receiving information does not rise to the level of doing something wrong:

We have information on your opponent. Oh, let me call the FBI.’ Give me a break. Life doesn’t work that way.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2017/07/13/fbi-nominee-christopher-wray-asserts-loyalty-to-constitution-not-president/

But he said anyone who is offered Russian-provided opposition research should contact authorities.

“Any threat or effort to interfere with our election by any nation state or any non-state actor is the kind of thing the FBI would want to know,” Wray said.

Emjay

Executive Member
Wake me up when there's any real news on this conspiracy theory, k? Soliciting opposition research from private firms is not illegal. Receiving information from a foreign government to discredit a political opponent is not legitimate opposition research.

Firstly he said he would never call the FBI, nobody ever calls the FBI, he's never called the FBI in his life. And he said that he disagreed with the FBI director that it would be illegal to receive information from a foreign government. Then he said um well maybe he would call the FBI if he thought there was something wrong, and also maybe he would just use the information. And in his opinion receiving information does not rise to the level of doing something wrong:
Yeah, like your Russiagate and Trump is a Putin stooge conspiracy theory? :ROFL::ROFL:

Why aren't you asking Schiff to present the evidence he promised he had that would prove all of that?

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah, like your Russiagate and Trump is a Putin stooge conspiracy theory? :ROFL::ROFL:

Why aren't you asking Schiff to present the evidence he promised he had that would prove all of that?
He said the evidence is in plain sight, which it is:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/17/adam_schiff_there_is_compelling_evidence_in_plain_sight_of_trump-russia_collusion.html

We have plenty of cases of collusion between Trump campaign and Russia. That was never in doubt. The issue is whether it rose to a level of criminal conspiracy.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It's ok that Hillary did it, because she is not in jail? Alright then. She paid a foreign asset (who used to be a spy) for information to discredit Trump. So that's not an issue because he was employed by a US company? We don't know when the relationship started, but I am sure a lot more will come to light in a few months. Remember that the docs leading up to the FISA application hearing has been declassified? Those still have to drop. Yeah, maybe it's not criminal. But it's dodgy as all hell.

Maybe you should go listen to Trump's words, don't you think? He said he would listen to a foreigner with info a political rival, and report it to the FBI. There is a clear difference here. If Trump went looking for it, and then offered some sort of quid pro quo, that would be criminal. If he was presented the info and sent it to the FBI (and used it), that would be morally bad, but is not criminal. There is a lot of nuance there. Of course the media would run with the narrative that they had. Who wouldn't? Anything to keep that outrage going.
Trump is a expert at setting up companies. I'm sure he will also funnel his foreign advice through a US company. So no problem.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Gingerbeardman

Executive Member

So what you're saying is, Trump should hire someone to go to the Russians or whatever to get dirt, and then it's fine. Gotcha.

Emjay

Executive Member
He said the evidence is in plain sight, which it is:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/17/adam_schiff_there_is_compelling_evidence_in_plain_sight_of_trump-russia_collusion.html

We have plenty of cases of collusion between Trump campaign and Russia. That was never in doubt. The issue is whether it rose to a level of criminal conspiracy.
Yet you call the Steele Dossier a conspiracy theory? You are so inconsistent, it's hard to take you seriously.

So what you're saying is, Trump should hire someone to go to the Russians or whatever to get dirt, and then it's fine. Gotcha.
Yet, he cannot see the nuance of criminally soliciting foreign info to damage a political campaign, and one where the information is offered on a non quid pro quo basis.

Emjay

Executive Member
You're quite the one to talk about partisanship. Here the president is openly admitting that he would commit high crimes if given half a chance, and all you can do is blather on about things that you even said aren't actually a crime.
Yes, dear. Stop getting your panties all knotted. I said it depends on the circumstances around obtaining that information. Like I have repeated how many times? It is bad. Yes. Bad Trumpey! Like I have said a million times. Trump is ****ing moron and morally questionable as they come. Is it criminal: IT DEPENDS. Intent and the method of getting that information play a big role.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yes, dear. Stop getting your panties all knotted. I said it depends on the circumstances around obtaining that information. Like I have repeated how many times? It is bad. Yes. Bad Trumpey! Like I have said a million time. Trump is ****ing moron and morally questionable as they come. Is it criminal: IT DEPENDS. Intent and the method of getting that information play a big role.
The only thing it really depends on is whether he contacted the FBI immediately, and he made it pretty clear that he wouldn't do that.

Emjay

Executive Member
The only thing it really depends on is whether he contacted the FBI immediately, and he made it pretty clear that he wouldn't do that.
And the sourcing of the Steele information was very questionable. And I am open to the fact that it was not criminal. But you are a fool to think that only one side will engage in questionable practices. Trump is just stupid enough to say it out aloud.

Gingerbeardman

Executive Member
And the sourcing of the Steele information was very questionable. And I am open to the fact that it was not criminal. But you are a fool to think that only one side will engage in questionable practices. Trump is just stupid enough to say it out aloud.
Trump did it on purpose, to foment exactly the conversation being had now. He wanted all the attention on all the shady stuff politicians have done in the past and show everybody what kinds of double standards the lamestream media really has. Mischief managed. Just look at Cerebus, who allows the fake news industry to do his thinking for him; it's almost so pitiful as to be pathetic. *almost*

Emjay

Executive Member
Trump did it on purpose, to foment exactly the conversation being had now. He wanted all the attention on all the shady stuff politicians have done in the past and show everybody what kinds of double standards the lamestream media really has. Mischief managed. Just look at Cerebus, who allows the fake news industry to do his thinking for him; it's almost so pitiful as to be pathetic. *almost*
I personally don't think so. I prefer my narrative that he is a bloody fool. It is pathetic at how this is dominating the headlines though, when I really just want to read about those ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.