Donald Trump is getting fact checked on Twitter, and he is not happy

Pegasus

Expert Member
No, the others score high on the authoritarian index, so they would be blue or red.
Ok. So the ANC are not authoritarian at all. I did not realise that.

I am centre left. In the green by one row.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
And society's laws and culture change to adapt to emerging technologies. We are living in a remarkable time in history - the information age. Thinking that the old rules still apply means you are very out of touch.
Agree but I'm not advocating for "old rules" exactly the opposite., the old rules are the problem. I'm saying the rules need to be overhauled and they need to include social media

Example: assuming you are sane and not antivaxx- do you think that randoms on FB show be afforded the credibility of epidemiologists when discussing the topic of vaccination?

I certainly do not but that's exactly what happens. Social platforms have an undeniable 'air of legitimacy' that increased the further down the IQ spectrum you delve.

It isn't fascism (ROFL rambo glass houses son) to want that nonsense stopped. People are getting hurt by stupid.

buka001

Executive Member
This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read. Complete with an appeal to emotion.

I don't like reality TV myself so I don't watch it. This family shows is just more real reality TV. Now because this one dishonest family hurt your feelings you want to destroy the livelihoods of thousands of others. Are official reality shows on a mainstream network still allowed? I bet they also lie about stuff.

We cannot possibly cancel everything that is open to abuse, because that is everything.
That family is an example of something non political that is using the power of Youtube for nefarious purposes. I chose that example to illustrate that Youtubes problems are not only political, which illustrates that my issue is not a left vs right thing, but extends to the platform as a whole.

Youtube is largely unregulated.

The strawman argument to compare it to the MSM blinds over the fact that media organisations are beholden to codes of conduct. There are ombudsmen who can address complaints over content. How many retraction stories has Washington Post, CNN etc had to post because of screw ups they have done? How many yoytubers retract their flat earth conspiracy claims?

On youtube, people pontificate about flat earths, Qanon, 9/11 conspiracies, parents talking about curing Autism by having their kids drink bleach and so on.

Pegasus

Expert Member
That family is an example of something non political that is using the power of Youtube for nefarious purposes. I chose that example to illustrate that Youtubes problems are not only political, which illustrates that my issue is not a left vs right thing, but extends to the platform as a whole.

The strawman argument to compare it to the MSM blinds over the fact that media organisations are beholden to codes of conduct. There are ombudsmen who can address complaints over content. How many retraction stories has Washington Post, CNN etc had to post because of screw ups they have done? How many yoytubers retract their flat earth conspiracy claims?

On youtube, people pontificate about flat earths, Qanon, 9/11 conspiracies, parents talking about curing Autism by having their kids drink bleach and so on.

There is plenty of good on youtube.
It's not difficult to not watch things you prefer not to watch.

buka001

Executive Member
There is plenty of good on youtube.
It's not difficult to not watch things you prefer not to watch.
Not about me. Its about young people who end up watching these videos or some normal, peace loving bored guy starts watching Qanon videos and a few months later ends up trying to shoot something up.

Pegasus

Expert Member
Not about me. Its about young people who end up watching these videos or some normal, peace loving bored guy starts watching Qanon videos and a few months later ends up trying to shoot something up.
I've been doing some HarvardX courses (Videos also on also on youtube).
You should hear what people like Michael Sandel teaches young minds.

Want to censor them too?

rietrot

Honorary Master

Nice to see you finally caught on to what is the difference between a platform and a publisher/media organisation

YouTube is a platform not a media organisation/publishers. People that post BS on there is responsible for themselves(self publish). YouTube is just the tool. Like Bill Gates never had to take responsibility for what some conspiracy theorists types on Word. Youtube don't have to police the content on its platform. Ideally.

Now that they are trying to they are taking responsibility and should be held liable. Now this family is YouTube's problem. They are trying to turn themselves into the publisher.

EADC

Executive Member
Although I do admire the Trump supporters trying to shield him of any responsibility and pull this thread so far off topic.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Lol I see the Trumpets are still looking for everyone else to take responsibility except the God King Trump.
Take responsibility for what? Do you even understand what that word means?

C4Cat

Executive Member
We all know that twitter is very left leaning.
This is just a form of gaslighting. The right has been completely empowered by twitter and other social media outlets, from Trump's campain to Brexit, to the normalization of alt-right white identity politics. It was all made possible through the use of twitter and facebook. Trumps campaign and entire presidency has been fundamentally based on using twitter. He is known to tweet continuously every day and has done so his entire term in office and prior to that. Yes, the left has also made extensive use of twitter but it is the right that has been winning elections and referendums based primarily on their manipulative use of social media. So while some of the people who work at twitter may be left leaning, the social network is not nearly as biased or left leaning as you would like to pretend...

EADC

Executive Member
Yes obviously if we are at this level of stupid. Because obviously he said every single mailed in ballot is/will be fraudulent
It's Trump the level of stupid is there.

Did you even read his claim or just being obtuse