Don't be a victim of Sinowal, the super-Trojan

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
https://windowssecrets.com/2008/11/20/03-Dont-be-a-victim-of-Sinowal-the-super-Trojan

Don't be a victim of Sinowal, the super-Trojan

The sneaky "drive-by download" known as Sinowal has been, uh, credited with stealing more than 500,000 bank-account passwords, credit-card numbers, and other sensitive financial information.

This exploit has foiled antivirus software manufacturers time and again over the years, and it provides us in real time a look at the future of Windows infections.

Imagine a very clever keylogger sitting on your system, watching unobtrusively as you type, kicking in and recording your keystrokes only when you visit one of 2,700 sensitive sites. The list is controlled by the malware's creators and includes many of the world's most popular banking and investment services.

That's Sinowal, a super-Trojan that uses a technique called HTML injection to put ersatz information on your browser's screen. The bad info prompts you to type an account number and/or a password. Of course, Sinowal gathers all the information and sends it back home — over a fancy, secure, encrypted connection, no less....

Windows XP users are particularly vulnerable

So, what can you do to thwart this menace? Your firewall won't help: Sinowal/Mebroot bypasses Windows' normal communication routines, so it works outside your computer's firewall.

Your antivirus program may help, for a while. Time and time again, however, Sinowal/Mebroot's creators have modified the program well enough to escape detection. AV vendors scramble to catch the latest versions, but with one or two new Sinowal/Mebroot iterations being released every month, the vendors are trying to hit a very fleet — and intelligent — target.

Peter Kleissner told me, "I think Sinowal has been so successful because it's always changing ... it is adjusting to new conditions instantly. We see Sinowal changing its infection methods and exploits all the time."

Similarly, you can't rely on rootkit scanners for protection. Even the best rootkit scanners miss some versions of Sinowal/Mebroot. (See Scott Spanbauer's review of free rootkit removers in May 22's Best Software column and Mark Edwards' review of rootkit-remover effectiveness in his May 22 PC Tune-Up column; paid subscription required for the latter.)

Truth be told, there is no single way to reliably protect yourself from Sinowal/Mebroot, short of disconnecting your computer from the Internet and not opening any files. But there are some historical patterns to the exploit that you can learn from.

First of all, most of the Sinowal/Mebroot infections I've heard about got into the afflicted PCs via well-known and already-patched security holes in Adobe Reader, Flash Player, or Apple QuickTime. These are not the only Sinowal/Mebroot infection vectors by a long shot, but they seem to be preferred by the Trojan's creators. You can minimize your risk of infection by keeping all of your third-party programs updated to the latest versions.

Windows Secrets associate editor Scott Dunn explained how to use the free Secunia Software Inspector service to test your third-party apps, and how to schedule a monthly check-up for your system, in his Sept. 6, 2007, column.

In addition, according to Peter Kleissner, Sinowal/Mebroot — at least in its current incarnation — doesn't infect Vista systems. Windows XP remains its primary target, because Vista's boot method is different and its User Account Control regime gets in the worm's way.

:eek:

The_Techie

Resident Techie
First of all, most of the Sinowal/Mebroot infections I've heard about got into the afflicted PCs via well-known and already-patched security holes in Adobe Reader, Flash Player, or Apple QuickTime.

None of which I use :D

But I'll keep an eye out for this, I wonder if it can escape Sandboxie.... :D

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I posted a post first regarding this poxy trojan.

You might catch it should you go pr0n-surfing... :p

FnuckNut

Banned
I installed that PSi thingy a while ago, but it only check for updates but BIITCH about too many of the old software on this 13Year+ PC harddrive installation/information. So I blocked it, maybe time to check it out again?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I installed that app but it just froze upon starting up. I couldn't even scan my pc :(