Don't buy these stolen batteries

Splinter

Honorary Master
I'd like to buy one if those if the price is right
Well there you have it folks. If Thor is ok with buying stolen goods, you should be too.

But, as I said elsewhere, no bitchin about the state of decay in SA.

dingaanone

Solar PO4 battery.JPG

This type battery was offered to me via email fro R24,000.00 each from a registered company, when I asked the person about proof of origin of the batteries and if the batteries have serial numbers, this person stopped communicating. The company also appears to be a legit battery wholesaler on the internet. Other than the screws seen on the covers of this battery and the battery being white it is almost identical to the black batteries been taken from the cell phone towers. Please note I have no proof the batteries are illegal or stolen, I am merely being suspicious and would not like to expose my business to unnecessary risks by supplying my clients with goods I can't be sure of.

RuhanSA079

View attachment 783986

This type battery was offered to me via email fro R24,000.00 each from a registered company, when I asked the person about proof of origin of the batteries and if the batteries have serial numbers, this person stopped communicating. The company also appears to be a legit battery wholesaler on the internet. Other than the screws seen on the covers of this battery and the battery being white it is almost identical to the black batteries been taken from the cell phone towers. Please note I have no proof the batteries are illegal or stolen, I am merely being suspicious and would not like to expose my business to unnecessary risks by supplying my clients with goods I can't be sure of.
Look at the model number. Seems fishy. LB? Leoch Battery? The brand name is also non-existent. I am sure that the BMS is going to give away the details on that screen. The only batteries I would buy, is the pylontech batteries.

Swa

Honorary Master
Same Deja Moo. Rather than scaring people into buying batteries that can and are indeed being imported and sold legally why don't these cell companies mark them so they can't be resold? If they don't care about doing something actual about the problem rather than making it a problem for the public I'm not going to care either.

How do u use these batteries? Do they even work with the inverters that are available to us ?
Standard data centre batteries except for the normal lead acid ones. And yes they do work with inverters.

lordnokon

How long does these batteries last vs like your APC 2000VA online or 5000VA online UPS units?

Last edited:

Nemus

Expert Member
Is it ok if I buy them solely to get them off the market???

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Makes one wonder why the mobile networks don't engrave their names in HUGE letters on each battery casing.

Imagine if MTN was etched deep into the metal or plastic housing on the battery. Can't really grind that off without suspicion.

moosag

Expert Member
I'll take 5 please... where do I find these criminals ?

Based on this logic we shouldnt support Eskom or Government either... Biggest criminals of all lol!

werfie

Expert Member
They buy enough of these things I am sure that they can strike a deal with these manufacturers to make big Yellow/Red/Blue/Black casings with the network branding on them and big letters DO NOT BUY or something. Not saying it will stop theft all together, but I am sure it will be much more effective than posting photos on news site of something that looks like most other retail products and expect end users to remember what they should not buy. :rolleyes:

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Same Deja Moo. Rather than scaring people into buying batteries that can and are indeed being imported and sold legally why don't these cell companies mark them so they can't be resold? If they don't care about doing something actual about the problem rather than making it a problem for the public I'm not going to care either.
Standard data centre batteries except for the normal lead acid ones. And yes they do work with inverters.
WHAT I find MORE interesting is -- the PRICE that the network providers are PAYING for these batteries ?
Obviously bought in very large quantities.
WHY do they not buy "normal" LiPO ALSO in big quantities and SELL THESE to the public -- at a "good"price ?
Takes away the incentive to steal AND -- for "middle class" buyers and "expert" installers to be "fooled"

Carnajo

Had an installer say they could offer a refurbished Vodacom tower battery because they replace them every x years but they're still good for many more cycles... now I wonder if that is true or whether it was one of these stolen ones.

Swa

Honorary Master
Had an installer say they could offer a refurbished Vodacom tower battery because they replace them every x years but they're still good for many more cycles... now I wonder if that is true or whether it was one of these stolen ones.
Doubt it. Vodacom would not refurbish them it they don't intend the public to buy them. They would be destined for recycling so even if true they're still being diverted and they'd be second hand worn down rather than "refurbished".

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Don't buy these stolen batteries

Cellular network battery theft is rapidly increasing in South Africa, and many people are unknowingly putting themselves at risk by purchasing stolen batteries.

Cellphone tower theft and vandalism in nothing new, but a recent escalation in this crime has seen drastic measures taken by operators.
Don't bother sending info to anonymous@tipoffs.com in regards potential stolen batteries the emails bounce.
Maybe something you guys can check out @rpm @Jamie McKane