Don't expect the new Raspberry Pi to reach South Africa any time soon

Daruk

Honorary Master
It'll reach SA when I'm good and ready, not a moment later. If I want one, I'll buy one lol.

pedruid

Expert Member
I don't think ICASA would recognize one if it hit them in the face.

Tovad

And I have paid for it as well - I expect delivery before Friday this week

SilverCode

And I have paid for it as well - I expect delivery before Friday this week
I've ordered ESP8266 boards from RS Components before and they had a 4-6 day shipping time. I assumed they were shipping from within SA, but a week later RS Components let me know the boards had been held at customs and they would try order another batch from another country.

I don't think RS Components bring in bulk and ship from local warehouses, they just ship from overseas and hope customs don't stop the shipment. Pi Shop likely orders bulk so they can ship locally, and so they need ICASA certification so they don't get seized by customs.

milomak

Honorary Master
surely 99% of people on this board know how to source items from outside of south africa?

K3NS31

Expert Member
Hang on, this can't be right. I think Pishop need to push ICASA On this one. The whole point of the new wifi module on this board and the previous one - the Pi 3B+ is that it only needs to be certified once. (Remember it's not just SA who has certification processes).

So if you've certified the wifi module for the Pi 3B+, which ICASA has already done, then you shouldn't need to re-certifiy it for the Pi 3A+ as it's identical and it's been built in as a module, not a separate wifi chip. So it's not a new product, it's the same one you already certified.

That's how I understand it from what they explained when they released the 3B+.

Tovad

Hang on, this can't be right. I think Pishop need to push ICASA On this one. The whole point of the new wifi module on this board and the previous one - the Pi 3B+ is that it only needs to be certified once. (Remember it's not just SA who has certification processes).

So if you've certified the wifi module for the Pi 3B+, which ICASA has already done, then you shouldn't need to re-certifiy it for the Pi 3A+ as it's identical and it's been built in as a module, not a separate wifi chip. So it's not a new product, it's the same one you already certified.

Finally someone that knows what is what...

RS Components is the official Raspberry Pi South African Distributor and Pi Shop is an official Reseller...

To further give you an indication of the scale difference between the two look at The Pi 3B+

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1373331/

320 Available for same day despatch or collection. (Delivery Terms & Conditions Apply)

139598 Available in 4–6 working days for collection or delivery to major cities, unless heavy, bulky, hazardous or lithium metal (T&C’s Apply)

Last edited:

K3NS31

Expert Member
Problem is RS "boycotts" the Pi Zero range, so those can only be bought through Pishop (without jumping through hoops and bringing them in from overseas at almost Pi 3 prices.)

But yes, to the original topic, howcome Pi Shop are getting c**k blocked but not RS-Online? Especially as this wifi module should've already been certified?

Tovad

Problem is RS "boycotts" the Pi Zero range, so those can only be bought through Pishop (without jumping through hoops and bringing them in from overseas at almost Pi 3 prices.)

But yes, to the original topic, howcome Pi Shop are getting c**k blocked but not RS-Online? Especially as this wifi module should've already been certified?
Easier to buy the Pi Zero And Zero W from Micro Robotics..

I think someone at Pi Shop and/or My Broadband was over+eager...

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master

Customs don't know their arse from their elbows. I bet if you show them a certificate of a different model they'll let it pass. It's probably how many of these devices got through in the past.

Tovad

I attach a screendump from RS Components that explain the relationship between them and the Pi Shop

I also copy the content from that screen dump (the web address is in the screen dump):

RS's authorised resellers for Raspberry Pi
The below companies are selected by RS Components as authorised resellers for Raspberry Pi products. Consumer customers, without VAT numbers, are requested to purchase via the below listed resellers.

We remind you that once following the links below, your order will be managed by the reseller autonomously and independently from RS.

RS has no responsibility for any dealings you may have with these resellers, and any purchase you make will be governed by the terms and conditions of sale of the relevant reseller.

PiShop

It is therefore not a matter of RS Components trying to smuggle anything past the South African customs - they are an international company that will make sure that they meet the required regulations - as I have shown in my previously attached image, they are even required to check the stock that they import here against Trump's Iran sanctions - hint: Microchip is a USA manufacturer...

Attachments