Don't ignore calls from these numbers

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Don't ignore calls from these numbers

Standard Bank recently sent out a mail to its customers warning them of a scam which targeted their online banking channels.

"It has come to our attention that fraudsters are impersonating Standard Bank to request your OTP (one-time password)," the bank said. "Please note, Standard Bank will never ask for your OTP."

"Standard Bank values you as a client and therefore wants to ensure your safety when you make online purchases."

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
"don't ignore calls from...."
Goes on to discuss phishing scams. Genius click bait!
My thoughts as well....

Two vague mentions of numbers that the banks will contact from, but a whole article about NOT answering questions posed by scammers...

**EDIT**

What actually would be good, is for the banks to publish a number or group of a few numbers that they will contact you from... then if you get contacted from any other number you can know instantly that its not legit.

Last edited:

RandomGeek

Spoofing of incoming telephone numbers is indeed possible - I wont be giving out any confidential account information to anyone who calls me - ever

Rabobi

Executive Member
I have no need to take a call from any bank including my bank. 99.9% of the time they want to sell me crap.

If there is a need for banking stuff then I will call them.

There is enough spam in our lives already. And thanks for giving me more numbers to add to my spam filter

Period

RedViking

Nord of the South
They should create a national code that is only used by banks and financial entities directly related to your account, strictly regulated and may not be used for any advertising, promotional content, may only be used for suspicious activity and to inform. Anyone one ubusing this should get a straight to jail fine.

/Wakes up from dream

Apogee

Businesses are always very keen to authenticate the person on the other end of the call, but this should really be done both ways.

If someone who claims to be from the bank calls, I always decline to give any personal information, and ask them to put everything they want to say in an email.

They almost never do that, but if it looks important, I will visit the bank in person.

LazP

What a problematic article. The bank does ask for an OTP when you're logging on online and even when you're processing a tramsaction. Writer needs to clearly phrase what scammers do and what the bank doesn't do.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Question, would the banks even call me if there was a fraud attempt on my account? Or I would be the one chasing them to find out wtf is going on.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you take South African and cross it with Scam you get...

Of course, South Africam banks often do call customers to verify suspicious transactions, and it is important for clients to identify whether it is actually the bank they are speaking to.