Don't panic buy - erm, well nope

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Guys. Simple strategy. For the next three weeks I only intend to go to the shops for Milk, Bread, and Fruit and Vegetables. I've made sure I have everything else I need. Including 3 dozen beers. Now to just hope the Corona didn't get me before the lockdown.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I'm guessing you havent tasted many plant-based foods,
All food is plant based. It's either made directly from plants, or the animal eats the plants and turns them into delicious meat. Either way, plants form the base layer. All food is vegetarian thus.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Same with the drive through Q's at KFC.
People going to be missing their fried chicken :ROFL:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
We did our monthly shopping on the 21st, a few shelves were empty already, but not like Woolies were.
Just butcheries were also out of meat sigh. So it looks like a lot of chicken and fish for the next 21 days.
I have 2 lambs, a beef hind quarter and about 10 braai packs in my freezers...but this is what I always have anyway.

I even have packs of wors and a brisket somewhere.

Told the wife when I came back from the pharmacy and my offices, that I am not leaving the house for at least 10 days.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
We were lucky. When we go to the big city we buy groceries for 2 or 3 months at a time. Didn't do a big shop in January as I paid the year's school fees at the end of January. End February we did a big shop. So have most stuff till end May. Freezer is full of kudu and bushpig. Pigeons are plentiful ATM and some dams still have water, so we can fish. If all else fails, I do have 1500 cows to choose from.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You have a lot of faith in Eskom :oops:
I live in CT...our loadshedding is under control.

And I have proper inverter and batteries if the SCHIT REALLY hits the fan. My fridges stay solid even after days of no power.(I've tested to see).

RedViking

Nord of the South
We were lucky. When we go to the big city we buy groceries for 2 or 3 months at a time. Didn't do a big shop in January as I paid the year's school fees at the end of January. End February we did a big shop. So have most stuff till end May. Freezer is full of kudu and bushpig. Pigeons are plentiful ATM and some dams still have water, so we can fish. If all else fails, I do have 1500 cows to choose from.
I was actually thinking of you and other farmers that buy in bulk. Were some farmers still caught unprepared that you know of?

beans100

Honorary Master
Just don't suck them dry.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I was actually thinking of you and other farmers that buy in bulk. Were some farmers still caught unprepared that you know of?
Most of them. Wives go do weekly shopping when doing the boarding school run every week. My wife and I have always done long term shopping. Not only is it cheaper, but you don't end up buying things you don't need. We are so used to it, that one look in the pantry and we know how many weeks we have left.