Don't seem to have all space on my new HDD...

Threepwood

I just got a 250gb SATA2 drive and have installed Windows XP on it, but in windows disk management it says I only have 128gb.

I know drives don't have their full marketed capacit but surely that's not the issue here? It has 250 printed on the label so it must be the right drive.

Is it maybe some BIOS setting or something? I'll check that now otherwise I don't know.

The drive also has a jumper to limit the speed to sata 1, could that be an issue?

Will the other space maybe show up once I create some more partitions, so far I have just made one 16gb partition for the OS.

The BIOS is reporting the drive as 250gb.

This is Win XP before any service pack that I'm using and I just found a web site saying that this is a glitch in XP prior to service pack, so hopefully upgrading the SP will help me.

Last edited:

mh348

Expert Member
Check your jumper settings, some hdd's have a jumper setting that limits the drive size. If the Jumper is set correctly the other think to check is that you partitioned the drive correctly.

Check your jumpers and report back.

wcoetzee

Expert Member
change that jumper to sataII asap.
you used a winxp sp0 or sp1 to install, that does not see past 128gb
but you can use a program like partition magic to resize it to 250gb but first install xp sp2 or sp3

Threepwood

I don't think changing the jumper to sata2 is much prob. unless that's the cause of the space issue, my mobo hasn't got sata2 suppport as far as I know.

I'm installing sp2 so I can install sp 3 now.

wcoetzee

Expert Member
I don't think changing the jumper to sata2 is much prob. unless that's the cause of the space issue, my mobo hasn't got sata2 suppport as far as I know.

I'm installing sp2 so I can install sp3 now.

thats fine, now after installing sp3 you would still need to resize that drive c to the full 250mb. you still need something like partition magic to do that. drive manager in xp will not do that.

btw you do not need to install sp2 before sp3. you can install sp3 from the start.

4cer

Expert Member
232GB are what all four of mine are.. buit ya is an XP SP1 issue

Threepwood

thats fine, now after installing sp3 you would still need to resize that drive c to the full 250mb. you still need something like partition magic to do that. drive manager in xp will not do that.

btw you do not need to install sp2 before sp3. you can install sp3 from the start.

I don't want to resize it, I want my OS on a 16gb volume seperate from other stuff.

Have just done sp2 and it registers the extra space now.

Last edited:

.Froot.

Executive Member

I definitely don't want a 250MB hdd thank you ;)
<you used mb instead of gb>