Douwdouws Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick333

Honorary Master
How wicked is the following doctrine circulated by the athiest community?

SOCIETY DETERMINE MORAL STANDARDS

Any comments?
First off, what do you mean by the atheist community? I think you are guilty of what Carl Sagan would call: creating a straw man, which he defines as:

caricaturing (or stereotyping) a position to make it easier to attack..
See: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=62047 for other common fallacies of logic and rhetoric.

There is no atheist community to which you could attribute this alleged doctrine of "SOCIETY DETERMINE MORAL STANDARDS".

My question is: who else, but society, could possibly determine moral standards in a democracy?

Last edited:

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
Me neither, society is responsible for moral standards. It's not just the "Atheist community" but the entire community.

PS: Congrats dodo on having your own thread, now you don't have to troll in someone else's.

Mr TB

Banned
Cowards

First off, what do you mean by the atheist community? I think you are guilty of what Carl Sagan would call: creating a straw man, which he defines as:

See: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=62047 for other common fallacies of logic and rhetoric.

There is no atheist community to which you could attribute this alleged doctrine of "SOCIETY DETERMINE MORAL STANDARDS".

My question is: who else, but society, could possibly determine moral standards in a democracy?
Are every athiest happy that the moral standards Russia developed in a democratic as stated by Nick333?

Are every athiest happy that the moral standards developed by Hitler was done in a democratic society as stated by Nick333.

Are ervery athiest happy that the moral standards set by Napoleon Bonoparte in society was done on a democtric basis?

I would like your comments please...

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
So what you're saying is that you're really against democracy and in favour of a Draconian type society.

PS: "are" is used incorrectly.

Mr TB

Banned
I do not mind using r in the wrong place lovie.

Even if democracy can be draconian my friend... there are plenty in Africa...

It is fine they are called democracies... prove to me they are not...

Nick333

Honorary Master
Are every athiest happy that the moral standards Russia developed in a democratic as stated by Nick333?

Are every athiest happy that the moral standards developed by Hitler was done in a democratic society as stated by Nick333.

Are ervery athiest happy that the moral standards set by Napoleon Bonoparte in society was done on a democtric basis?

I would like your comments please...
What's in a name...?

I'm not talking about supposed democracies, I'm talking about actual constitutional democracies, whose constitutions are based on human rights.

Mr TB

Banned
Constitutions??

What's in a name...?

I'm not talking about supposed democracies, I'm talking about actual constitutional democracies, whose constitutions are based on human rights.
do you really know what a constition is mate?... It is only a piece of paper that's all it is...

If the goverment in charge get hold of it and is corrupt it means nothing...

Stop dreaming friend it is a piece of paper it means nothing... and then...

The USA's constitution is biblically build, only now they are mingling with it...

Nick333

Honorary Master
do you really know what a constition is mate?... It is only a piece of paper that's all it is...

If the goverment in charge get hold of it and is corrupt it means nothing...

Stop dreaming friend it is a piece of paper it means nothing... and then...
When the authority of its constitution is ignored, a country ceases to be a democracy.

The USA's constitution is biblically build, only now they are mingling with it...
The bold sentence is a out right falsehood.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
The USA's constitution wasn't biblically built... it starts with "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." - no references to religion of any sort. The constitution of the US states the duties and powers of the government and it's different aspects. It's a legal document, with no reference to the Bible or to religion.

State facts, not suppositions.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Morals within the society are determined by the society in general, and are centered around how progressive, openminded, religious, educated and ethical the individuals within that society are.
Labelling it an athiest idea or concept makes no sense.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I think we should just leave the determination of moral standards up to my invisible rabbit. I think she knows best.

If you want to play the more evil than thou game we can dig up plenty of vicious amoral societies based upon religion.

Democracy is not a panacea. It does seem to be the generally lesser of evils though.

Mr TB

Banned
NOXIBOX you are heading in the right direction. The word is BASED, carefull BASED on religion.

People used the bible for their own selfish purposes, not what god intention was with his word right?

Mr TB

Banned
Oh yes i had a discussion with a few people, highflyer,they all came to one conclusion, once you pass the furthest point north on earth you are coming south again...

Claymore

Executive Member
Oh yes i had a discussion with a few people, highflyer,they all came to one conclusion, once you pass the furthest point north on earth you are coming south again...
Did you know that the eastern-most point in the United States is in Alaska?

Neo

Expert Member
I still completely fail to see how the points where magnetic lines enter the earth have anything to do with these discussions or religion in any way. :confused:

Mr TB

Banned
Technicalities

I still completely fail to see how the points where magnetic lines enter the earth have anything to do with these discussions or religion in any way. :confused:
Please note i was not the one acting like a lawyer on the comment i made.

Use of a bit of common cense makes it clear why you can walk theoretically in a direction west, or east infinitely.

The same does not hold for walking in a direction north, at a point you will start walking south your arguments or not...

Neo

Expert Member
Please note i was not the one acting like a lawyer on the comment i made.

Use of a bit of common cense makes it clear why you can walk theoretically in a direction west, or east infinitely.

The same does not hold for walking in a direction north, at a point you will start walking south your arguments or not...
I understand your reasoning when you describe our common use of the earth's magnetic field to define north, south, east and west.

What I completely fail to understand is its relevance to the topics being discussed here.

Mr TB

Banned
Relevance

I understand your reasoning when you describe our common use of the earth's magnetic field to define north, south, east and west.

What I completely fail to understand is its relevance to the topics being discussed here.
if i remember correctly you were the one that gave HF the thumbsup concerning his comment on north south west east in the previous forum therefore supporting his lack of common sense.

the remark therefore was for him to read because if i remember correctly he was viewing the forum at that point in time...

Mr TB

Banned
I must be honest i do not think that you realise that the bible is scientifically correct taking into account the lack of knowledge and the people's superstitions of that time...

Status
Not open for further replies.