Driver’s licence renewals in South Africa suffering a massive backlog

maumau

Honorary Master
Mentioned in another thread I'm trying to book for a colleague who wants to go January 2019.

Only get the option of Maponya or Vereeniging before even entering a date/time.

Cray

Honorary Master
Been waiting two months for my new card, at the stage where I will need to get a temporary license soon as am hiring a car over Christmas.

maumau

Honorary Master
Been waiting two months for my new card, at the stage where I will need to get a temporary license soon as am hiring a car over Christmas.
Interested to know how to get a temporary license. Can one go to their offices?

neoprema

Expert Member
If you're going overseas you're gonna have problem, I don't think they'll take temporary licenses.

Cray

Honorary Master
Interested to know how to get a temporary license. Can one go to their offices?
Yeah - for Marianhill Durban it's the same place, just a different teller. I think you pay R90 and need two photos.

Cray

Honorary Master
If you're going overseas you're gonna have problem, I don't think they'll take temporary licenses.
Local only , am sure they must be getting used to this sort of thing considering how prevalent it is. But yeah if I was going overseas I would have gone for an international drivers license from the AA.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Local only , am sure they must be getting used to this sort of thing considering how prevalent it is. But yeah if I was going overseas I would have gone for an international drivers license from the AA.
Yep, I used to to do this when travelling abroad.

Swa

Honorary Master
Another SA system falling apart. Don't know why they can't do it on location when even bank cards are done like that. Oh wait, can only buy one from official "distributors".

cyb3rt

Been waiting for my card since 19th of JULY this year. I have been back to Akasia a couple of weeks ago to get a new temporary license which I had to pay for AGAIN... I have to say, I am not very impressed but fighting with the staff at Akasia is not going to get me anywhere.

Edelweiss

Been waiting for mine since July already.. Actually decided to go check today on a whim. Apparently the strike is over and there are large amounts of driver's licenses stacked in their offices waiting to be collected.

I'm glad I waited and didn't shell out unnecessary cash to get a temporary license.

This was in CPT.

chrisc

Executive Member
Offices in Cape Town (Hillstar, Wetton) are ok. Took a friend there on 31st October. She went to collect it on Friday 7th

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Went for mine on 28 October. Sent my ID to the SMS line to check how far along it is and got this reply;

'DLCA does not have an application for this ID number'

Cool story.

I'm going to take a drive there later this week and just check.

Cray

Honorary Master
Went for mine on 28 October. Sent my ID to the SMS line to check how far along it is and got this reply;

'DLCA does not have an application for this ID number'

Cool story.

I'm going to take a drive there later this week and just check.

Sent an sms a while back and got the "your card is being processed", now not getting any response - hoping that's a good sign but taking stuff for a temporary license just in case.