Driver's License Renewal - Gauteng

dayav07

My driver's license is expiring mid February, just remembered now. The online system https://online.natis.gov.za/#/ shows 0 bookings for literally all centers, besides Vereeniging and somewhere else which is really far from Midrand. Some reviews on google have said that you must actually book for a learner's license on the site and not a driver's renewal. Can anyone confirm this?

If I have to go in to do it manually, where is the most efficient place to go to? I'm assuing you need your old card, ID, ID copy, 2 photos, proof of residence, eye test?

Alfiebadseed

Hi Dayav

The ONLY place in Gauteng that will still help you without having booked via enatis is Krugersdorp.

All other Gauteng testing stations can’t help (even if you offer the soul of your firstborn).

Go to any optometrist and get your eye test done ahead of time - free at spec savers, and saves loads of time.

REAList_1

You will have to be quick
They are months behind in issueing.
Just did the 6 months temporary license as the first 3 months license has expired.
I recommend that you did it at the same time for R59 - take extra photo with plus proof of residence.
I cannot see them catching up any time soon - but 6 months is a long time even for useless guvament companies.
Its fine for a politician to say you won’t be fined but I doubt if your insurance company will not use this as an excuse for not paying out.
:-((

Lord Nikon6

Expert Member
Renewed mine at Midrand end of November last year. When I was there, there was a sign up saying walk-ins are processed until 10:30 AM, after that online only. However, I made an appointment on the site, and I was in a queue full of walk-ins, the appointment made no difference apart from them checking the "online" box on the form.

Took a few weeks of checking the site everyday until I got an appointment slot at Midrand. If you are close to the place, maybe just try your luck one morning.

stefan9

Executive Member
Doing mine tomorrow. Got my eye test certificate at my optometrist. Anyone know if they are still cash only?

Apologies a bit off topic.
Can anybody tell me if you lost your license do you need a affidavit from the police before you can apply for a new license.

Puk

If you're around Pretoria... Stay away from Akasia licensing centre... It's chaos and many people have been scammed there by people claiming to be 'officials'. Go to Centurion. Last time I renewed my license there it was completely effortless.

dayav07

I'm just about ready to go to try to renew. Question is, centurion or Midrand?

I'm going to go before 7am for a walk in and have the following with me: old driver's, eye test certificate, 6 bw photograph's, proof of residence, pen, dltc form filled out, cash.

I could pretty much open one of these offices myself at this point.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You will have to be quick
They are months behind in issueing.
Just did the 6 months temporary license as the first 3 months license has expired.
I recommend that you did it at the same time for R59 - take extra photo with plus proof of residence.
I cannot see them catching up any time soon - but 6 months is a long time even for useless guvament companies.
Its fine for a politician to say you won’t be fined but I doubt if your insurance company will not use this as an excuse for not paying out.
:-((
Insurance company cannot deny you on an expired drivers license card, your drivers license doesn't expire only the card does. Also you only need a temporary license if yours has expired, if you went before the expiry date keep the invoice and show that + your license to the cops.

2SCOOPS

Renewed mine at Midrand end of November last year. When I was there, there was a sign up saying walk-ins are processed until 10:30 AM, after that online only. However, I made an appointment on the site, and I was in a queue full of walk-ins, the appointment made no difference apart from them checking the "online" box on the form.

Took a few weeks of checking the site everyday until I got an appointment slot at Midrand. If you are close to the place, maybe just try your luck one morning.
Experienced the same thing in November as well. Was extremely frustrating as we had made an online booking for 8am. We were done by 11am.

Yats

My wife’s license card expired in December and only realized it last week. Earliest online booking was for end Feb.

She tried getting a temp license at the Midrand branch today. She was told that they could only do temps if she renewed her license. They also said that she’d get an appointment tomorrow if she tried booking online today.

We were in Bedfordview and told her to take a chance and see if she had any luck at the department there. Took nearly 3 hours but she managed to renew by walking in and got a temp license as well.

neoprema

Expert Member
Is there still a 6 month waiting period for licenses or is that speeding up?
I renewed mine second week of December and they told me it will be ready in 6 weeks time. I hope they're right because I travel A LOT an I use car hire which I can't do now. I'm spending a fortune between Uber and Taxi's where Uber is not available...

Lord Nikon6

Expert Member
Is there still a 6 month waiting period for licenses or is that speeding up?
I renewed mine second week of December and they told me it will be ready in 6 weeks time. I hope they're right because I travel A LOT an I use car hire which I can't do now. I'm spending a fortune between Uber and Taxi's where Uber is not available...

Well, I renewed 24 November, have received no notifications that it is ready to be collected, I doubt 6 weeks, 8 at the very least. Maybe you get lucky.

neoprema

Expert Member
Well, I renewed 24 November, have received no notifications that it is ready to be collected, I doubt 6 weeks, 8 at the very least. Maybe you get lucky.
Did they say they would notify u tho? I was just told to come back in 6 weeks. I don't know if they're actually sending out SMS or what.

Lord Nikon6

Expert Member
Did they say they would notify u tho? I was just told to come back in 6 weeks. I don't know if they're actually sending out SMS or what.
Good point, they might not do that anymore. They never told me to come back after a specific number of weeks. Will go by there next week or use that SMS number to check the status.