Driver's License Renewal - Gauteng

Puk

I went and renewed in the first week of December last year and got a SMS that the card is produced and I should wait for another SMS to pick up my card. This was a month ago - should I wait or make the trip to the licensing department and go and check?
If you have time, go check if it's there yet. Otherwise just keep the receipt with you as proof. I wouldn't depend on them sending SMS's in the first place. Nevermind sending them on time.

Russell S

I went and renewed in the first week of December last year and got a SMS that the card is produced and I should wait for another SMS to pick up my card. This was a month ago - should I wait or make the trip to the licensing department and go and check?
I seems like they never send the SMS for card collection. I called the branch (Centurion in my case) and was told the card was ready. Pro tip : they are closed from 12 to 1 for lunch so don't get there at 12:05 like I did :(. None of the people I was with got a collection SMS, some had waited over 6 months.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Why don't you just call them them ask if it's ready? Much easier than driving to ask in person.

Raabs

Make the trip - they only keep it for a short period then it is sent back or destroyed

Raabs

I renewed my License but waited too long to go collect it. When I did go they said they no longer had it as they do not keep it for longer than 2 months. How does one go about getting it sorted now?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So that was relatively painless.

Booking was for 8:55 at Centurion DLTC. Arrived at 8:15 and waited until they call a bunch of us in (8:50-9:10 slots). Got a simple piece of paper to fill in, they called my name, took the photo and got the printout at 9:05, paid with credit card and walked out of there at 9:15.

If collection is that quick then short of going fully online I don't see how they can make it that much easier.

Russell S

Booking was for 8:55 at Centurion DLTC. Arrived at 8:15 and waited until they call a bunch of us in (8:50-9:10 slots). Got a simple piece of paper to fill in, they called my name, took the photo and got the printout at 9:05, paid with credit card and walked out of there at 9:15.

If collection is that quick then short of going fully online I don't see how they can make it that much easier.
Also went to Centurion and had a similar easy experience. If nothing has changed, be aware that you will not receive an SMS for delivery and that you will need to phone them to check that it is there. Then don't arrive at 12:05 like I did because they close for lunch between 12 and 1pm

Kooku

New slots available for online booking in Midrand are added every morning at 08:00. They are usually all gone by 8:15 so if you want to book online for your renewal you need to be online and refreshing the site at 8:00. Not sure about the other "Fully Booked" sites but would assume that they have the same sort of system, just not sure of the times they add their new slots

AdrianH

Expert Member

Where did you do eye test?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Mine expired April, it seems. No slots available in the whole Gauteng. Is there any place I can still do a walk-in and see if they'll help me? I'm probably going to have to get a temporary drivers licence as well?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Mine expired April, it seems. No slots available in the whole Gauteng. Is there any place I can still do a walk-in and see if they'll help me? I'm probably going to have to get a temporary drivers licence as well?
Try again tomorrow morning from 7:45 onwards. Slots get booked out quick though.