Drivers license renewal

Daruk

Honorary Master
Anyone know when traffic departments will be open to renew licenses again? What if your license expires during lockdown?

grok

Honorary Master
Just ignore it, you're not driving anywhere anyway stay at home in your cropped pants!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Who has a license in SA to start with.. most cops just bought theirs.

Mux

Anyone know when traffic departments will be open to renew licenses again? What if your license expires during lockdown?
Here is an extract from CoCT website:

Motor vehicle licensing

Important Notice

Motor vehicle licence renewal services will not be provided during the COVID-19 national lock-down period.

Valid licences, permits, certificates etc. that were set to expire during the lock-down period will be deemed to be valid until a date, still to be determined after the lock-down period ends.

Those responsible will additionally be granted a period of grace (the duration of which is also still to be determined) during which these documents may be renewed without penalty.

Once the lock-down period is over the City will advise on the validity and grace periods for:
  • Temporary permits.
  • Certificates of roadworthy.
  • Motor trade number renewals.
  • Motor vehicle registration and licencing, including annual licence renewal.
The Minister of Transport recently made the following announcement:

"The validity period for the renewal of a motor trade number licence during the lock -down, shall be deemed to be valid and shall be extended for a further grace period of 6 months from the date of expiry of a lock-down period, unless determined otherwise by the Minister. Driving licence testing centres and vehicle testing stations will remain closed during lock -down period. "

(See also Government Gazette 43182, dated 30 March 2020.)

Last edited:

Corelli

Expert Member
You are allowed an international license if SA accepts it and if ita in english. Or if not english it must be translated by your embassy.

You will need a traffic register number if you are a foreigner and want to buy a car.

Once you get a PR you can convert to SA license using your Traffic reg no as your id. It can take 3 years to get an SA id after you got your PR.

Lupus

Honorary Master
30 days made sense when lockdown was only 21 days and affected small contingent of people, now that it's until whenever that means the system is going to be jam packed, for me to get a booking for next month when my license expired, I would've had to have done the booking in April, but couldn't do it.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
30 days made sense when lockdown was only 21 days and affected small contingent of people, now that it's until whenever that means the system is going to be jam packed, for me to get a booking for next month when my license expired, I would've had to have done the booking in April, but couldn't do it.
Mine expired last year already, also need to go get a new one. I'll be in kaka if I get pulled over as it did not expire close to lockdown haha

Lupus

Honorary Master
Mine expired last year already, also need to go get a new one. I'll be in kaka if I get pulled over as it did not expire close to lockdown haha
You'll just get a fine, a friend had his expired for 5 years, only realised when he got a fine.

RedViking

Nord of the South
To answer OP's question.

No, its not open.

No fines will be given during lockdown for expired licence, this does not mean corrupt officers will not extort you.

Apparently you will have 30 days of hell after lockdown to renew. But the exact time frame needs to be confirmed.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
I lost mine and made a booking before lockdown. Now am I still fine(I should still be on the system if they stop me ) ?