Drivers license renewal

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I picked up my driver's some time ago. No issue at all, but I pity new applications. The queue at Somerset West was intimidating Victoria Street.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to add, the licencing centre in Strand, at the municipal building, is overloaded. You need to be there, pitch up at the soonest. They close the queue at any time and then you barely made progress... You could easily wait for 3-5hrs in that queue.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Booked mine for Krugersdorp last week. Was done in about 45 min.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Absolute disaster in Stellenbosch. They only do it on Monday and Tuesday. I was there at 6:30 and already 20th in line. Walked out at 11:00 - I have had quicker trips to home affairs in the past.

I told them this is the last time, from here on I am driving with an expired license and pay the fines.

IMG_20200706_064415.jpgIMG_20200706_074928.jpg

smi

Expert Member
It is a total sh#t show. My 83 yr old mother must be seen to renew her licence, dept wont allow any family to assist. Puts her at risk and they admit that.

Pathetic

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wow Krugersdorp was a dream, walked in at 9.10 left at 9.40. The longest part was waiting to pay.

DsBalsak

It is now the third week i have tried to apply and no slot open online, absolutely nothing this is a proper shut show

deweyzeph

Executive Member
A drivers licence card is just proof that you have a licence, it is not the licence itself. Just because the card expires doesn't mean you no longer have a driving licence just like if your passport expires it doesn't mean you are no longer a citizen.

"D"

Expert Member
It is now the third week i have tried to apply and no slot open online, absolutely nothing this is a proper shut show
Screenshot_20200708-080712.png
Be quick like lightning!

EDIT:
Screenshot_20200708-081527.png
Screenshot_20200708-081827.png

You should have listened. Tried to warn you. Now look ... you see now?

Last edited:

"D"

Expert Member
It would appear that @DsBalsak, being a Dominee, needs some inspiration from the Word to take action.

Therefore, Dominee, I implore you, just as it is written in the book of Judges:

What ye have seen me do, make haste, and do as I have done.

twaatie

Absolute disaster in Stellenbosch. They only do it on Monday and Tuesday. I was there at 6:30 and already 20th in line. Walked out at 11:00 - I have had quicker trips to home affairs in the past.

I told them this is the last time, from here on I am driving with an expired license and pay the fines.

View attachment 870607View attachment 870609
Just register for e-services with city of cape town next time

Lupus

Honorary Master
It was kinda going to happen, I kept trying from 6am to about 7am and got a slot in Krugersdorp. Now I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Crabby

Honorary Master
A drivers licence card is just proof that you have a licence, it is not the licence itself. Just because the card expires doesn't mean you no longer have a driving licence just like if your passport expires it doesn't mean you are no longer a citizen.
While I agree with you and think the whole renewing of a card shitshow is yet another money grab, the spidkops still hand out 1k fines like confetti when you show them your green ID with the license.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
While I agree with you and think the whole renewing of a card shitshow is yet another money grab, the spidkops still hand out 1k fines like confetti when you show them your green ID with the license.

Your licence doesn't actually expire

“According to the Regulations, a driving licence card shall expire five years from the date on which it was ordered from the card production facility. The Regulations make no mention of the expiration of a driving licence, but expressly state that the validity of a driving licence shall be indefinite.

“The uncertainty therefore created by the Regulation is whether the expiration of a driving licence card also leads to the expiration of a driving licence,” she explains.

“What’s interesting, however, is that Regulation 108 (5)(b) states that ‘The holder of a driving licence card may apply for a new card in the manner contemplated in regulation 109 and the new card shall be authorised and issued in the manner contemplated in regulation 109(3)’.

“The word ‘may’ suggests that the holder of a driving licence has a choice as to whether to renew the card or not. The regulations furthermore do not expressly state that it is an offence if a holder of a driving licence fails to renew the driving licence card,” says Paans.
Would be interesting if someone actually had to the balls to challenge these fines for driving with an expired card in court.