Drivers set for fuel shocker

RompelStompel

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-25_2049496

Johannesburg - The price of petrol is to go up by between 5c and 8c a litre next Wednesday, January 6.

The Department of Minerals and Energy announced on Thursday that the price of 91 octane petrol will increase by 5c per litre, while 93 octane will rise by six cents a litre and 95 octane by 8c a litre.

The wholesale price of diesel 0.05% Sulphur and 0.005%% Sulphur will, however, decrease by 17 cents per litre.

The wholesale price of Illuminating Paraffin will be increased by 3c a litre, with a 4c a litre increase in the Single Maximum National Retail price.

The department said that during the period December 1 to December 27 the average international product prices of petrol, diesel and Illuminating Paraffin had increased.

"The average Rand/US Dollar exchange rate strengthened when compared to the previous period. The average Rand/US Dollar exchange rate for the period 01 December 2006 to 27 December 2006 was R7.0609 compared to R7.3083 during the previous period."

noswal

Executive Member
5 - 8c is not really a shocker, it's just an increase which was expected. Now, 50c would be.

NaZKuL

hmmmmm... me gonna have to buy a diesel car now.. or some hybrid of sorts....

lilDeath

Executive Member
not too hectic an increase, could have been worse, and does not warrant buying a diesel IMHO

noswal, that's :sick:

frenchi6625

maybe that's why they keep pushing it up, because we keep taking it laying down.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
One of my colleague's drives a Subaru Impreza STi ... if he is lucky he gets about 250km on a 55L tank :).

LCBXX

Honorary Master
FINALLY! Diesel comes down a bit. Apart from the fact that I drive one, the main transportations links and freight services operates on diesel fuel. In essence, if the price of Diesel goes up, so does goods.

Paul_S

Expert Member
I would like to know why the diesel price is dropping and the petrol increasing - they're both made from the same source (crude oil) and although the processes involved may differ slightly they should both rise and fall on the crude oil price.

Why are they discounting diesel now?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I would like to know why the diesel price is dropping and the petrol increasing - they're both made from the same source (crude oil) and although the processes involved may differ slightly they should both rise and fall on the crude oil price.

Why are they discounting diesel now?
Its been a while since Diesel has dropped in price - or rather, dropped substantially. Then again, if anyone can explain how the Government comes to the prices they charge for fuel and all the levies that accompany it, it may start to make sense. Last I heard was that Government calculates the price of fuel as if the oil aboard the tankers are already refined to petrol....

noswal

Executive Member
Its been a while since Diesel has dropped in price - or rather, dropped substantially. Then again, if anyone can explain how the Government comes to the prices they charge for fuel and all the levies that accompany it, it may start to make sense. Last I heard was that Government calculates the price of fuel as if the oil aboard the tankers are already refined to petrol....
http://www.dme.gov.za/energy/liquid_petrol.stm

sleeper

Paul_S, AFAIK, diesel is a more unrefined version of petrol, thus it should be cheaper - but it is not!
For a while now diesel has been more expensive than petrol - if you buy from sasol (the ultra low sulphur), there was a time when it was something like 70c per liter more expensive than petrol... So, as a diesel user, I am REALLY glad to see the prices are coming down a bit.

lilDeath

Executive Member
One of my colleague's drives a Subaru Impreza STi ... if he is lucky he gets about 250km on a 55L tank :).
he must be driving it like a maniac then, probs fully modded as well, low riders, spinners, fins, underlights etc... :D

tibby.dude

Executive Member
he must be driving it like a maniac then, probs fully modded as well, low riders, spinners, fins, underlights etc... :D
Well he ain't into ghetto looking cars ;).
Just official Prodrive mods fitted but he does drive like a bit of a loony.

kilos

Expert Member