Driving across South Africa in an electric car - Price and duration calculated

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Driving across South Africa in an electric car - Price and duration calculated

Multiple major manufacturers - including Volkswagen and Ford - have invested heavily in electric vehicles, with several new fully-electric models set to launch in the coming years.

In South Africa, however, the electric vehicle industry has been hamstrung by exorbitant import fees, a lack of government support, and uncertainty over its value proposition.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
So, travelling from JHB to CT, like one does, where does one plug in the car exactly? How long does this all take? I can drive there in a single trip using dinosaur bones as fuel. With an electrical car, I assume I must budget for overnight stays as well?

Ah, I see, it's effectively a 2-3 day trip now. So, R2000+ on electric, and R7k on two nights accommodation?

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Well done on a good article with thorough research.
This is a great reminder of how inconvenient longer distances can be in an all-electric car.
The time wasted while recharging and the ridiculously slow speed you would need to drive at would make for a stupidly unpleasant trip.

Captain Underpants

Expert Member
This is exactly why electric cars are BS. And this data they generated is based most likely on empty vehicles. Put 4 people in that car with luggage and watch those distances halve. Also, who has the time to sit and wait for these batteries to charge? Give me good old fossil fuel ANY day thanks.

wernervn

This is exactly why electric cars are BS. And this data they generated is based most likely on empty vehicles. Put 4 people in that car with luggage and watch those distances halve. Also, who has the time to sit and wait for these batteries to charge? Give me good old fossil fuel ANY day thanks.
Those waiting/charging times are a killer

Last edited:

markings

Expert Member
It is recommednd to stop every 2 hours for a rest. With an EV this is compulsory, and probably at least 3 times longer than if driving a non-EV car.
To drive from Durban to East London (657km) is impossible unless one drives via Bloemfontein.
Really not feasible.

quovadis

Executive Member
Well done on a good article with thorough research.
This is a great reminder of how inconvenient longer distances can be in an all-electric car.
The time wasted while recharging and the ridiculously slow speed you would need to drive at would make for a stupidly unpleasant trip.

More like a reminder on how Tesla are the only ones to have gotten this right to any practical degree.

Sepeng

Expert Member
So take a car and test it in an situation it's not really suited for?
Look I still don't think in SA you could have an electric car as your only car, but as a second car that will cater for literally 99% of your needs I'd still have one.

For us and our family and needs it'd be perfect.

lordnokon

Nah no thanks...

Did around 3700km a month ago Driving from PTA to CPT - CPT to PE - PE to PTA in approximately the same time it took them to drive only 2000km. Got 18KM/per Liter Diesel on a 530d (R3300 for all refueling).

And at the price you pay for that car (R1.7M) not a chance in hell.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
So take a car and test it in an situation it's not really suited for?
But that's what south africans do.

Look at all the little city cars we have that people use as holiday cruisers up and down to country. They were not made for that either.

CeeBee

Expert Member
that Jag looks really nice, but oi, the cost of the car!
well, compared to other Jaguar models which aren't really light on juice, its probably not abnormal on traveling costs electricity vs big V8 fuel?
then again, you don't really buy this model to save the environment, nor I would suspect, for cross country drives.
even myself with small 1.2L car will rather take the plane to Durbs or CPT next time, even for 2 people travelling, considering fuel, toll fees, drive exhaustion, risks.
but, good to see the electric charge stations increasing to be ready when the small EV cars come more mainstream

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Nah no thanks...

Did around 3700km a month ago Driving from PTA to CPT - CPT to PE - PE to PTA in approximately the same time it took them to drive only 2000km. Got 18KM/per Liter Diesel on a 530d (R3300 for all refueling).

And at the price you pay for that car (R1.7M) not a chance in hell.
and you probably drove at 120km/h or more. :ROFL: