Driving licence demerit system approved for South Africa

Currantly

Expert Member
Demerits will mostly apply to regular drivers.

Demerits won't apply to the rest.

me_

The concept of demerit system is good, but the biggest problem is enforcement. It doesn't matter how strict you make the punishment if there's no-one to enforce the rules.
With the low points and lack of enforcement, I don't really see how it's possible for someone to actually get banned from driving.

How many demerits will Taufiq get?
He would get 6 for speeding. It's the same as what you would get for drunken driving. So he can do that again in the next year and still be allowed to drive. He would only get banned if he committed another offence on top of doing that twice.

Futhermore, you can only get the points from 1 offence you commit (if multiple committed at the same time) so doing 300km/h while drunk would be 6 points.

AARTO is heavily focused on speeding. I seem to recall it's only 1 or 2 points for jumping stop streets and / or traffic lights which is extremely dangerous. I would like to see something where going through a traffic light after it has just gone red or not coming to a complete stop at a stop street is maybe 2 / 3 points and going straight through a light that has been red for sometime or failing to slow down at a stop street is 6 points.
Drunk driving should be 12 or more as should reckless driving - they should basically result in immediate suspension or at the very least put the driver on maximum points so a parking violation would result in them being suspended.

OCP

Expert Member
Might be easier than trying to renew a license in SA.
This might be something to consider though
You might very well be right - still waiting on my new drivers licence ... 4 months and counting. (Temp licence has also expired now)

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Driving licence demerit system approved for South Africa

Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Transport has accepted the final amendments on the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) Bill.

The bill will now go to the National Assembly for concurrence and will then be ready to be signed into law.

Well as with most laws its only going to hurt the law obeiding citizens, the criminals ride?live on another lower level.
Riding a vehicle is a very practical excersize, the luxury of it may fool you in thinking you driving from your couch, laws are paper and in minds, driving and the reflex reactions associoated with it is in your muscles and experience.
I see a further gap and disconnect forming enlarging the problem.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Soooo before if you are caught drunk driving you could lose your licence, face jail time. Now it's a fine and a 6-point demerit. Drive well for 3 months and you can do it again without losing your licence or anything like that.

Fantastic job, guys, this is frigging aces.

PS: Note that the pregnant lady with babybrain only has to forget her handbag with drivers licence at home 3 times to lose her driver's licence.

Also, "Failing to yield to a pedestrian". Are they actually going to enforce this? And if so, how?

Pitbull

Verboten
They have been trying this for over a decade. Once again it will not pass.

They should just give up already...

Mila

Honorary Master
You might very well be right - still waiting on my new drivers licence ... 4 months and counting. (Temp licence has also expired now)
This is such a shytshow.
Why this has to be done at the two places in Pretoria only the spaghetti monster knows. ITs not as if those people would even notice if 80% of the people there goes somewhere else.
I want my license.
I want to obey the law
But hey lets make it as difficult as possible.

diesel

Expert Member
Honest and law abiding drivers wont be affected by this and neither will corrupt bribe paying drivers.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
If this does pass into law the little revenue they get for licensing vehicles and renewing drivers licenses go out the window. This will have zero impact on safety on the road.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Can someone explain what that means in terms of ones ability to challenge the validity of a given ticket and what ones appeal options would be in future?
Its mainly about streamlining revenue gathering. Can't have people snarling up the works. A lot of tickets are written off now because they're invalid.

Other changes like notification through e-mail and text message are being made because the authorities are too incompetent to operate the current process. They want to make it simpler for themselves, so they don't have to prove that notifications were received.

wont change anything
Unlicenced taxi driver will still drive :thumbsup:

Change ALL traffic fines to 100 times their current values and quickly you will see some attitude adjustments on the road
Traffic fines are already very high relative to incomes. Only the well off can run around breaking traffic laws without it hurting financially. You're simply proposing making it a bit more elitist.

Drunk driving should be 12 or more as should reckless driving - they should basically result in immediate suspension or at the very least put the driver on maximum points so a parking violation would result in them being suspended.
Is reckless driving well defined? Otherwise it should be a matter for the court. Already traffic police can't manage to grasp laws on parking and vehicle license expiry dates, so not a good idea to let them adjudicate something that requires intelligence and judgement.

PS: Note that the pregnant lady with babybrain only has to forget her handbag with drivers licence at home 3 times to lose her driver's licence.

Also, "Failing to yield to a pedestrian". Are they actually going to enforce this? And if so, how?
Is that for not having a license at all or not carrying it?

Perhaps they intend to simply hold drivers liable regardless of who is to blame, which seems to be the backward policy in some European countries.