Driving licence demerit system approved for South Africa

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Its mainly about streamlining revenue gathering. Can't have people snarling up the works. A lot of tickets are written off now because they're invalid.

Other changes like notification through e-mail and text message are being made because the authorities are too incompetent to operate the current process. They want to make it simpler for themselves, so they don't have to prove that notifications were received.

Traffic fines are already very high relative to incomes. Only the well off can run around breaking traffic laws without it hurting financially. You're simply proposing making it a bit more elitist.

Is reckless driving well defined? Otherwise it should be a matter for the court. Already traffic police can't manage to grasp laws on parking and vehicle license expiry dates, so not a good idea to let them adjudicate something that requires intelligence and judgement.

Is that for not having a license at all or not carrying it?

Perhaps they intend to simply hold drivers liable regardless of who is to blame, which seems to be the backward policy in some European countries.
If i was rich and got a speeding fine of R1500 I would laugh it off, times that by 100 as I said in my post it is now R150 000.
Excuse me? Rich people would shrug this off?
I don't think so Sir

eg2505

Honorary Master
no enforcement = bigger bribes for "infringing" behavior,

so if they stop you at a roadblock not wearing a seatbelt, can threaten you with points nw, unless the bribe is bigger

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

so if they stop you at a roadblock not wearing a seatbelt, can threaten you with points nw, unless the bribe is bigger
Problem is there are many honest (sorry a few honest) officers around that do not accept bribes and will arrest you right there.
So we are going to see more people trying to bribe and we will see more people getting arrested for this :thumbsup:

access

Honorary Master

had 2 clowns in bellville trying to convince me i put my seatbelt on only when they pulled me over. "we saw you" i laughed at them every time they said it.

meanwhile its an ocd habit i have, feels weird if im not wearing it while driving. happens almost automatically when i in a car seat. i wont even start the car if the passenger doesnt use theirs.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Well as with most laws its only going to hurt the law obeiding citizens, the criminals ride?live on another lower level.
Riding a vehicle is a very practical excersize, the luxury of it may fool you in thinking you driving from your couch, laws are paper and in minds, driving and the reflex reactions associoated with it is in your muscles and experience.
I see a further gap and disconnect forming enlarging the problem.

Dude how stoned where you when you posted this?

eg2505

Honorary Master
had 2 clowns in bellville trying to convince me i put my seatbelt on only when they pulled me over. "we saw you" i laughed at them every time they said it.

meanwhile its an ocd habit i have, feels weird if im not wearing it while driving. happens almost automatically when i in a car seat. i wont even start the car if the passenger doesnt use theirs.

never understood these people that think its not cool to wear a seat-belt, just don't understand them,
and being human puree is cool isnt it?

Eniigma

Expert Member
Where do I submit the tender for the new system they'll need to impliment this?

Neuk_

Executive Member
I don't believe any of these new rules and regulations will change anything, the current rules and regulations are barely enforced, we have little need for new rules and regulations and more need for effective enforcement.

dlk001

Executive Member
If approved, it will be a good system for revenue generation for the government in terms of forcing people to pay fines and possibly e-Tolls

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Cop almost took me off my bike while texting on his phone, he just glared at me when I flipped him off and motioned for him to put his phone down.

Tell me I can give him **** you driving points...
It looks like you're forgetting that this is Africa. The cops on this continent don't have to set the example and enforce the law, they are above the law. Be careful about flipping them the bird too, because you will quickly find yourself out of pocket with all the palm greasing you'll have to do to just stay out of hot water. You also will do well to remember that the cops here are bigger scumbags than the real scumbags themselves.

Malooga

That is the most hilarious stock photo's.

Lets play a game of "Spot whats wrong".

neoprema

Executive Member
All this will do is make it easier to threaten innocent people who were doing +10-20kph over the speed limit so that people are more inclined to pay bribes than have demerits.

It will do nothing for the Taxi's driving on the opposite side of the road, pavements, without licenses and doing 120kph on the oncoming lane of a 60kph road.

It will just affect the usual, the tax-paying honest worker.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Imagine nobody ever breaks any traffic rules, ever.

I think the government and municipalities would miss the income from fines.

Luke7777

Executive Member
I don't care if you don't wear your seatbelt... your choice. But having your children standing on the backseat waving at me, or standing free between mom and dad's front seat is deserving of the biggest fine available. My children has never been in my car without their seatbelts fastened. Even to this day , being 21 and 19 , they still do, by their own choice, backseat or not :) They will 'remind' one another if one is without a seatbelt :D

surface

Honorary Master
I didn't get fine in last 10 years+ but if you get fine, how do you avoid it? I mean you can prefer not to pay it of course but once you get caught in one of those humongous roadblocks (seen fourways, sandton) that has number plate scanning and what not, surely they will catch you? I have heard that those vehicles have got mechanism to connect to home affairs so as to track status as well..

That's the mindset I adopted a while ago. They get nothing from me.
Same here. Fck them.

Smugs

Expert Member
Four points off your licence for driving without a licence...????:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: