Driving licence demerit system approved for South Africa

Executive Member
That is the most hilarious stock photo's.

Lets play a game of "Spot whats wrong".

Pedestrians crossing the street aren't looking while crossing
The lady in the car is clearly trying to dodge the JAYWALKING pedestrians
The woman driver is clearly trying to dodge the illegal crossing there by swerving left!

Headline would be "Woman swerves to save family in need" OR "Illegal immigrants cause single mother to crash" depending if you are left or right publisher.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
"You will earn two demerits on the license that you don't have, if you drive without a license :\"

Just shows how retarded the system is :ROFL:

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I didn't get fine in last 10 years+ but if you get fine, how do you avoid it? I mean you can prefer not to pay it of course but once you get caught in one of those humongous roadblocks (seen fourways, sandton) that has number plate scanning and what not, surely they will catch you? I have heard that those vehicles have got mechanism to connect to home affairs so as to track status as well..
Never paid in years, pulled over many times, never been picked up, not even when renewing license.

surface

Honorary Master
"You will earn two demerits on the license that you don't have, if you drive without a license :\"

Just shows how retarded the system is :ROFL:

:unsure: I took it as "If I drive and if I am not carrying a license at the time when they catch me, then I will get those demerit points". But your point is interesting - would they know if you have a license at traffic checkpoint? (based on ID perhaps? What if you don't have ID but just a Traffic register number? - can they look it up?)

access

Honorary Master
never understood these people that think its not cool to wear a seat-belt, just don't understand them,
and being human puree is cool isnt it?

lol the usual response is some story about a guy somewhere that survived because he was not wearing a seatbelt, the doctor even said so..

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
I am all for the demerit system.
I do not break traffic rules :thumbsup:
....at least i try not to, last fine i got was for accidenlty speeding outside Worcester in 2014. Honestly thought it was a 100km/h zone and i got nabbed for R400
Be careful what you wish for...

Toxxyc

Executive Member
....at least i try not to, last fine i got was for accidenlty speeding outside Worcester in 2014. Honestly thought it was a 100km/h zone and i got nabbed for R400
So you're wishing for a system that will consider you guilty without the option to contest it? It's a nightmare. First cop who's on a rage can take away your license on this system, keep that in mind as well.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member

somebody clones your licence plate, starts speeding around and getting fines. You wonder why you are getting all these email fines sent through to you. You decide you want to fight it as these fines are not yours, but with the new legislation you cannot appear in court to defend yourself or your rights with regards to what may or may not have happened.

Now after the 8th fine all your points have been taken and you are now driving on an invalid license.

The system if implemented correctly and with proper channels to legally represent yourself in cases of error, I agree with. the fact that these lazy arses have tried to make it easier for themselves because of their failing infrastructure (no post office to send the fines and no officers to actually stop you and see that it was you driving and not someone else), easier for them to just trap with camera's and then just assume you are the guilty party although they have no actual evidence.

Now they have taken away the passage to court in order to defend yourself in.

If this passes through parliament, It will be a completely unjust system and open to huge abuse of power.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
had 2 clowns in bellville trying to convince me i put my seatbelt on only when they pulled me over. "we saw you" i laughed at them every time they said it.

meanwhile its an ocd habit i have, feels weird if im not wearing it while driving. happens almost automatically when i in a car seat. i wont even start the car if the passenger doesnt use theirs.

Happened to me in Jozi once. They insisted my passenger only put on his belt upon seeing them. Bro told them to eff themselves or arrest us. They let us go.

stefan9

Executive Member
In principle the system is fine. But there needs to oversight and the driver needs to be able to defend himself in a court of law.

Crabby

Honorary Master
Never paid in years, pulled over many times, never been picked up, not even when renewing license.

That's changed if you are talking about car renewals. Tried to renew my license last month and they wouldn't until the outstanding warrants were settled.

They can demerit me as much as they like, I have no car or drivers license.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
That's changed if you are talking about car renewals. Tried to renew my license last month and they wouldn't until the outstanding warrants were settled.

They can demerit me as much as they like, I have no car or drivers license.
I never had to pay any sort of fine, only ever when the license disk itself was overdue.