Driving licence demerit system approved for South Africa

Neuk_

Executive Member
That's changed if you are talking about car renewals. Tried to renew my license last month and they wouldn't until the outstanding warrants were settled.

They can demerit me as much as they like, I have no car or drivers license.

It has always been like this, outstanding fines have never limited you from renewing a car licence while outstanding warrants have, if wherever you are renewing picks it up.

krycor

Honorary Master
This, every damn time they bring out new regulations when they can't enforce the current ones, it's like making theft illegal.

I think we need to move to the Chinese system of social justice.. yes it’s scary and not very democratic way of doing things but when accountability & adherence is low is there another way?

Neuk_

Executive Member
I think we need to move to the Chinese system of social justice.. yes it’s scary and not very democratic way of doing things but when accountability & adherence is low is there another way?

A police force which actually works, is not corrupt and is accountable would be a good start.

akescpt

Honorary Master
They will need to put the camera away and do some work so we still safe in Cape Town. Love speed trapping. Minimal actual enforcing.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Chinese system really?? o_Oo_O

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So just received a fine, says it's my car, which is a hatchback, interestingly no license disk number included.
Look at the picture, I see a blue sedan, then check the license plate, some GP thing, and I somehow managed to get to Midrand and back within about an hour as, according to my google calendar, I was presenting a seminar about two hours later, in Cape Town.
But don't worry, AARTO can never be wrong, only 5/6 of all fines I've received have either had: someone else's car, incorrect speed as the speed limit, multiple cars on the picture or been cameras that have been hidden behind objects/not been in plain sight which is against the law in CT. That one fine that was valid was me forgetting to renew my license disk the first time as I hadn't set up a reminder and didn't get a letter in the post, which arrived like 2 months later (I love SAPO).
Yet I would have gotten the demerit points for each of these, and would have had to argue in court to remove them, wasting my time, rather than having a stupid email back and forth that is 1 2 minute e-mail every ~6 months (their average response rate) for 2 years that usually resolves it. So I'd have my license revoked while waiting for the chance to defend in court to have the fines declared invalid, but if AARTO/traffic police/fraud don't get sorted, I'd have all those fines in my name and I'd have lost my license before having the chance to resolve it. Great idea.