Driving with a disability

Mineer

Expert Member
Hi can any one give me some info on driving with a disability I have arthritus through out most of my body but am able to walk with out aids, I have a very stiff back and neck very limited movement but can see just un 90 degrees both left and right. alltho I am completly blind in my right eye and micro distances I have trouble judging but me thinks this should not be a problem
and help in this regard would be highly appreciated even if it just a point in the right direction :) thanks

p.s.
I am in the cape town area so if there are places I can go to for this sort of help it would have to be in and around cape town CBD

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
With regards to eyes

"..a minimum visual acuity, with or without refractive correction, of 6/12 (20/40) for each eye, or where the visual acuity of one eye is less than 6/12 (20/40) or where one eye is blind, a minimum visual acuity for the other eye of 6/9 (20/30); and a minimum visual field of 70 degrees temporal, with or without refractive correction, in respect of each eye, or where the minimum visual field of one eye is less then 70 degrees temporal, or where one eye is blind, a minimum total horizontal visual field of at least 115 degrees with or without refractive correction.."

so with just that i would say no.

Mineer

Expert Member
urm ok thanks I think
lol honestly did not understand your explanation my good eye does have good vision dont know the if its 20/20 but my eye doc is happy I can turn my neck just about 90 degrees to the left and to right I am not sure from the explanation how much degrees I need to drive safely..

also are there no driving aids ... I really need to be mobile

MFour

Expert Member
I am not sure exactly what kind of help you are asking for here?

As for driving with visibility in only one eye, that should not be a problem and is allowed by law. Of course, you will not be allowed to drive as a "professional driver", i.e. make money from driving, but most certainly are allowed to drive a motor vehicle.

As for getting your car fitted with driving aids, I would think contacting The Western Cape Association for Persons with Disabilities would get you some answers.

Hagu13

I have one eye

I have a code EB for a car with caravan
I have a code A for a big motorcycle
I have a PDP for both above
I have a Motorsport SA racing licence for motorcycles
All above board- eye tested/medical history declared.
I am not eligible for EC or above, with or without PDP

Visual acuity- if you can pass the test with one eye, uncorrected (no specs/contacts) your license will be unendorsed. No mention of one eye either.
If you pass the test with specs, it will be endorsed that you need to wear them. Still no mention of one eye.

Any optometrist can test acuity and field and most will do a "drivers test" eye test and issue a certificate for free. Specsavers definitely do. If your good eye is healthy, you will pass the field test with no issues.

Mineer

Expert Member
cool applying for my learners during the week
did not want to go the traffic dept and waste my time
thanks guys

Hagu13

Mineer, in your case I would DEFINITELY get the eye test done at an optometrist. The traffic dept. guys aren't well trained and if they have any doubt or confusion they will fail you on the eye test.

Get the certificate then go apply- they just do fingerprints then and attach the eye test certificate.

Corelli

Expert Member
Hi can any one give me some info on driving with a disability I have arthritus through out most of my body but am able to walk with out aids, I have a very stiff back and neck very limited movement but can see just un 90 degrees both left and right. alltho I am completly blind in my right eye and micro distances I have trouble judging but me thinks this should not be a problem
and help in this regard would be highly appreciated even if it just a point in the right direction :) thanks

p.s.
I am in the cape town area so if there are places I can go to for this sort of help it would have to be in and around cape town CBD
Today I had a guy with an BMW X5 try to cut over my lane, without even indicating. He clearly has no brains.

However there are cars that you can drive, more than likely its an Automatic but the newer Golf of the Mercedes A class has some of the latest driving aids, ie forward collision warning, lane change assist, and the list goes on and on. It should make it much easier to drive.

You will get a restricted license with some rules that you can follow. But you should still be able to drive. There are some schools offering disabled driving lessons.

More than likely you will probably be the best driver on the road. Just watch out for the agro idiots that has no disabilities other than stupidity.

Golf

Mercedes A Class

Have a look at both. You will notice how their driving aids can assist you with driving easier. A Tesla may help more but the above 2 will make your driving much easier...if you can afford them.

Corelli

Expert Member
I have one eye

I have a code EB for a car with caravan
I have a code A for a big motorcycle
I have a PDP for both above
I have a Motorsport SA racing licence for motorcycles
All above board- eye tested/medical history declared.
I am not eligible for EC or above, with or without PDP

Visual acuity- if you can pass the test with one eye, uncorrected (no specs/contacts) your license will be unendorsed. No mention of one eye either.
If you pass the test with specs, it will be endorsed that you need to wear them. Still no mention of one eye.

Any optometrist can test acuity and field and most will do a "drivers test" eye test and issue a certificate for free. Specsavers definitely do. If your good eye is healthy, you will pass the field test with no issues.
Inspiration to all : ) Great advice.