Drones and hiking in Gauteng - Any recommendations?

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
So as in title - I'd like to go for a hike somewhere scenic, and ideally quiet (I don't want to accidentally get pictures of people who don't want to be in them), and take my drone up for some nice photos of the surrounds and countryside.

Does anyone have any ideas of where in Gauteng would be suitable for that? I know national parks are out of question, or else those would be prime options. I'm ideally looking for a private reserve that offers hiking as an activity, and would give me permission to fly and get some photos of the hike.

Thanks!

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
So, defeat the former with the latter?
Sorry, just to be super duper clear I was talking quiet in terms of not many people around.

But on that note, the drone I have is the DJI Mini 2, it's tiny and once it's more than 30m in the air, you have to strain to hear it. Once it's 50m up you absolutely won't hear it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Sorry, just to be super duper clear I was talking quiet in terms of not many people around.

But on that note, the drone I have is the DJI Mini 2, it's tiny and once it's more than 30m in the air, you have to strain to hear it. Once it's 50m up you absolutely won't hear it.
That's good.

Why are national parks out of the question? I mean Suikerbosrand sounds like just the place for this.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
That's good.

Why are national parks out of the question? I mean Suikerbosrand sounds like just the place for this.

Unfortunately, there are basic regulations on remote controlled aircraft in SA that say you can't fly over any national parks - I understand it's quite an old rule, related to people with RC planes chasing birds.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Unfortunately, there are basic regulations on remote controlled aircraft in SA that say you can't fly over any national parks - I understand it's quite an old rule, related to people with RC planes chasing birds.
That sucks.

I can only offer a few MTB trails then in GP. (even if guys a riding there, they generally wont mind)

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
That sucks.

I can only offer a few MTB trails then in GP. (even if guys a riding there, they generally wont mind)

That might actually be really cool - If they're on private land, I could reach out to the owners and see if they'd be okay with me flying there.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
That might actually be really cool - If they're on private land, I could reach out to the owners and see if they'd be okay with me flying there.
Like my local MTB trail, you wouldn't even need to ask the land owner, just maybe use the snapscan at the gate to make a donation, it's used for MTB, trail running, dog walkers, wedding photoshoots, all sorts. Just watch out early morning for the cows, and there are a bunch of red mongoose as well.

But like Red Barn, Thaba or Taroko, they'd probably be fine, just chat to them first.

"D"

Expert Member
Does anyone have any ideas of where in Gauteng would be suitable for that?
Grootkloof (Mooinooi/Rustenburg area) (Very secluded, long hiking trail - but you need a Magalies hiking permit)
Bergheim Resort (Mooinooi/Rustenburg area) (Many different hiking trails)
Fort Schanskop inside the Voortrekker Monument terrain. (Short hike in Pretoria)
Roodeplaat Dam in Pretoria. (Circular trails. By the way, they'll never catch you.)
Hartebeespoort Dam Cable Car hiking trails have multiple entrance and exit points, and long stretches.
Hedianga Farm in Pretoria-East has many trails with a view.
In the triangle formed in the vast expanse between Olifantsnek and Montana and Cradle of Humankind you will find almost 20 different sites managed by Magalies Hiking Trails.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
Grootkloof (Mooinooi/Rustenburg area) (Very secluded, long hiking trail - but you need a Magalies hiking permit)
Bergheim Resort (Mooinooi/Rustenburg area) (Many different hiking trails)
Fort Schanskop inside the Voortrekker Monument terrain. (Short hike in Pretoria)
Roodeplaat Dam in Pretoria. (Circular trails. By the way, they'll never catch you.)
Hartebeespoort Dam Cable Car hiking trails have multiple entrance and exit points, and long stretches.
Hedianga Farm in Pretoria-East has many trails with a view.
In the triangle formed in the vast expanse between Olifantsnek and Montana and Cradle of Humankind you will find almost 20 different sites managed by Magalies Hiking Trails.
Thank you so much for this! I'll be checking in with them tomorrow to confirm they're happy for me to take my drone along.

Tman*

Expert Member

"D"

Expert Member
Thank you so much for this! I'll be checking in with them tomorrow to confirm they're happy for me to take my drone along.
It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Seriously, don't sell yourself short.
This is still Africa, after all - not Manhattan island. (And as such, very few bylaws - if you can call it that - are enforced.)

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Seriously, don't sell yourself short.
This is still Africa, after all - not Manhattan island. (And as such, very few bylaws - if you can call it that - are enforced.)
You're probably right, but I'd rather just not be one of those people who's inconsiderate when it comes to this stuff. Some people take issue with drones, and I totally understand why - So I'll rather give my business to a place that's open to them than ruffle feathers for no good reason.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
For anyone that searches this topic and is looking for an answer in future, I called Hennops and they are happy to let me bring and fly my drone (Provided I don't interfere with other hikers of course)

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
It's also so that poachers don't use it to spot animals. So might be an old rule, but it's very necessary currently.

The_MAC

Executive Member
That place has gone to the dogs - so full of people, litter etc. Such a pity.

If you go there, go very early, as in the first one there