Dropped call stats for South Africa revealed

Wow I must really be the exception here because according to those stats, 1 out of every 100 or so calls of mine should be dropped, whereas I'd put the real figure at around 1 in every 10 calls is dropped. Today alone, on the Vodacom network I've had two dropped calls out of about fifteen and had to redial once because of a shocking connection...

yebocan

Executive Member
Wow I must really be the exception here because according to those stats, 1 out of every 100 or so calls of mine should be dropped, whereas I'd put the real figure at around 1 in every 10 calls is dropped. Today alone, on the Vodacom network I've had two dropped calls out of about fifteen and had to redial once because of a shocking connection...
+1 - Nice one Neotel...- so the two subs on your network must be happy as pigs in crap...lol

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
MTN, despite being expensive, has been quite reliable for me. It's the only reason I'm still with them. I've had endless issues with calls being dropped when I'm speaking to somebody on Vodacom though.

I still maintain that there's a monkey in each and every tower who's sole responsibility is to press the "fsck you" button every now and then. And it then rewards him with food...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just out of curiosity. Would it not be hard for us to know as users who actually dropped the call? If you are on Vodacom and talking to someone that is on MTN...and the call drops, how do you know which network actually dropped the call? Also, could this not give the impression that a lot of calls are actually being dropped...thinking that all calls that are dropped is caused by your own service provider, but in fact some are cause by the other persons service provider as well?

Sorry..just pondering.

Perhaps the monkeys in your phone? I haven't had any dropped calls with Vodacom in 2012.
I've had three different phones this year alone. Unless it's a poltergeist monkey, I'm going with the network operators being at fault here...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Perhaps the monkeys in your phone? I haven't had any dropped calls with Vodacom in 2012.
That is also a possibility. I always recommend to my clients to keep the phone set on either 2G or 3G only modes...but not on dual mode. I have found this can hep prevent the phone from making a switch mid call and then dropping it. I personally prefer 2G only as in many cases signal is a bit stronger and saves battery life.

Just out of curiosity. Would it not be hard for us to know as users who actually dropped the call? If you are on Vodacom and talking to someone that is on MTN...and the call drops, how do you know which network actually dropped the call? Also, could this not give the impression that a lot of calls are actually being dropped...thinking that all calls that are dropped is caused by your own service provider, but in fact some are cause by the other persons service provider as well?

Sorry..just pondering.
As a consumer I must admit that I couldn't give a rat's arse. I make calls to various service providers and I haven't found one to drop more than the other. They're equally crap...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
As a consumer I must admit that I couldn't give a rat's arse. I make calls to various service providers and I haven't found one to drop more than the other. They're equally crap...
Was just wondering. It would be interesting to know...well, for me anyway. ;)

upup

Executive Member
Friend off mine got a old plain phone. on voda, his drop calls are plenty. Further, on mtn to mtn, it does not exist.

inferno

Well as least we're not as bad off as the USA. While I was there I often had to walk around with my hands in the air searching for reception.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Friend off mine got a old plain phone. on voda, his drop calls are plenty. Further, on mtn to mtn, it does not exist.

:p

Seriously though, if it for example happens in a specific area a lot, like at home or at work, it would be best for him to log a network fault with 082111 for the techies to go out to the stations in the area and check for malfuntions etc. That, or the tower could just be heavily loaded.