DSL-AC56U WAN disconnections

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hello,

I am quite puzzled.

Ever since I switched to Fibre, my router has been acting up - but intermittently. Random WAN disconnects and it doesn't reconnect itself.

If I log into the router, I'm greeted by this, and all the IP's listed that I've blocked out are 0.0.0.0:

1581356085770.png

If I turn the "Internet Connection" button off and on again, then it'll reconnect. Same goes for if I restart the router.

Sometimes I'll go for weeks where this doesn't happen. Other times it'll happen more than once a day (but it ties in nicely with loadshedding lately).

A couple of things:

* ISP is Afrihost, line with Openserve
* I have tried resetting the router
* I have updated the router in the past, and it hasn't helped
* The ONT is all green - I never touch that really
* I have replaced the cable between ONT and router before
* I used to make it disconnect and reconnect internet once a day to see if that would help, but if I'm honest, it didn't really make a difference.

Some logs:

2020-02-10 16:49:29 kernel: Link State: Ethernet link down.
2020-02-10 16:49:29 kernel: Link State: PVC_100 PPPoE down.
2020-02-10 16:49:33 kernel: Link State: Ethernet link up.
2020-02-10 16:49:33 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
2020-02-10 16:49:33 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!

One would think that once it failed to connect, it would try again. But it looks like the link went down, came back up, and my router just sat there like a vegetable.

Perhaps there is some sort of setting that'll force it to retry connecting that someone knows of? I'm at a loss.

If you've got this far, thanks for reading.

KinsZA

Expert Member
Worth contacting ASUS on this, looks like its more your ethernet dropping, which shouldnt be happening with the ONT still working and then the router giving up on attempting PPPOE connections.