DSL to Fibre Should I?

You should separate the services correctly. I assume you currently have a fixed line telephone line (active?) with ADSL connection for data, both from Telkom? The infrastructure is provided by Openserve
On top of that, you then have an ISP service provided by Telkom and an e-mail address from Telkom?

Changing to fibre will not necessarily fix anything about your e-mail service assuming you want to fix that and retain your existing e-mail address?

Is your existing Internet access working? Are you able to access G-mail? and surf the Internet and do all the other things normally?
Yes I understand that, and I have no internet problems. I will be keeping my landline for now, but will dump my Telkom DSL and email as Telkom is doing nothing to restore my email, so no point in keeping it. I will just use my Gmail and Hetzner emails on another fibre ISP.

Last time I spoke to Telkom, they told me that if I have a landline, fibre installation is free. Maybe you can also check on that as well.
Yes they will do a like for like swap to fibre, but no point in doing that if they cannot sort out my email. Also I dont think their 10mbps fibre is any better than my current DSL service.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
I presume you have tried to fault find the basics?
Send and receive test emails, checked the settings on your email account, verified the settings in your email software? What are you using to download your emails? Tried to use Telkom's webmail facility?
Did anything change re your laptop such as the Operating system?
If I were you, I would still want to sort out my email service before just abandoning it. Leaving an email address hanging like that is a security risk. It should be shut down and cleared properly regardless of your decision to move to another service provider.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Yes they will do a like for like swap to fibre, but no point in doing that if they cannot sort out my email. Also I dont think their 10mbps fibre is any better than my current DSL service.
Why do you say that? Who are the fibre service providers in your area?
There is a vast difference between an ADSL service and a Fibre-based service.

Yes done all that plenty times. The fault is definitely with Telkom, but they will just not get back to me. Even their FB messages have now stopped. All I ever get from them is the fault has been escalated. Either there is something seriously wrong or they are just incompetent.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Yes I understand that, and I have no internet problems. I will be keeping my landline for now, but will dump my Telkom DSL and email as Telkom is doing nothing to restore my email, so no point in keeping it. I will just use my Gmail and Hetzner emails on another fibre ISP.
Email service and ADSL are also not joined at the hip. If your telephone line and ADSL is working perfectly, then the problem is not with the line or ADSL but only with Telkom's e-mail

Geoff.D

Executive Member
I have read all the posts in this thread and just one word of warning. DStvs streaming services are ALL very bad. The issues with buffering etc on DStv are hardly ever related to the line speed. So, that should not be a measure of the performance of your ADSL connection, or, a move to Fibre. Rather use another streaming service as a reference to gauge the existing line performance. The one thing you can be absolutely sure of, a move to fibre will result in better performance of any service that is affected by latency, such as gaming, streaming etc, simply because of the added bandwidth available on fibre.

I am in the same boat as you are. But at the moment for me, the only choice is Fibre from Openserve and the fibre installation has not been completed properly.

DeSLAM

Last time I spoke to Telkom, they told me that if I have a landline, fibre installation is free. Maybe you can also check on that as well.
Then they are probably porting your land line to VOIP, costs them less, and they dont have the hassle of copper.

I know Telkom also install a "DSL speed" product over fibre, where they have removed copper. Its billed at DSL pricing, not fibre pricing, so its essentiallly a very heavy throttled fibre service.

So if Telkom removed copper service in your area - then demand that option if you had DSL.